Conservation Planning Officer
Conservation Planning Officer
Building and Construction - Wiltshire
My client, a Local Authority based in Wiltshire are looking for a Conservation Planning Officer to join their team within the Building and Construction industry. The role will be for an initial 3-6 months with potential for extension.
Duties for the Conservation Planning Officer role will be:
- To effectively process planning and listed building applications from receipt to determination making recommendations for delegation or determination by Committee. Processing applications involves: site visit; consider consultation responses (town/parish councils; highways authority; neighbouring property owners; etc) applying relevant policies and procedures; assessing issues of design and amenity; assessing impact of proposals upon heritage assets; negotiating with applicants/consultees; and making recommendations.
- To interpret often complex planning/heritage legislation and policy (with support from Senior Officers) in order to give specialist advice (e.g. design) to offer effective pre application advice (discussions prior to a planning application being submitted). Advice given to developers, architects, planning consultants, landowners and members of the public.
- To write reports assessing planning/listed building applications and making clear recommendations (to the Senior Officer/Team Leader or to Members of the Area Planning Committee) to enable robust defensible decisions to be made. Officers may be required to attend planning committees to present their reports and answer any questions raised by members.
- Preparation of written appeal statements, representing the Council's case at hearings under the Planning Acts including the defence of the council against costs at informal hearings. An 'informal' hearing is a way of dealing with planning appeals with an independent Inspector assessing the opposing cases being put by the Council and appellant.
- To make decisions with regard to validation of applications (whether sufficient quantity and quality of information has been received for the application to be considered) and the discharge of conditions imposed on planning applications.
- To secure contributions to community infrastructure through legal agreements for example affordable housing and public open space contributions.
- Advise, comment and make recommendations with regard to internal procedures and systems to assist with the efficient operation of the business area. For example, reviewing procedures for dealing with major planning applications
Membership of RTPI (Royal Town Planning Institute) would be advantageous.
- Degree or equivalent in town/urban planning (or relevant aspect).
- 1-2 years' experience working within the UK Building and Construction industry.
- Experience as a Conservation Planning Officer
- Eligibility to work in the UK.
To discuss this Conservation Planning Officer vacancy, or any similar vacancies we currently have in and around Wiltshire, please contact Ollie Melton or email your updated CV today.
Apply for Conservation Planning Officer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly