Senior Specialist Advisor - Planning (Team Leader)
Lewes District Council and Eastbourne Borough Council are undergoing a transformation to adapt how we offer our services to enable a first rate customer service which maximises the use of technology, integrating services and systems across the two Councils.
The transformation includes having a joint Development Management service which will cover both Councils’ Local Planning Authority areas. Both authorities also include the South Downs National Park, where we undertake the Development Management Functions in partnership with the that SDNP Planning Authority.
All of the above ensures that there is a wide range of planning applications to get involved with, ranging from the small scale householder to implementing strategic sites arising from our Local Plan allocations
At Lewes and Eastbourne we are keen to grow our own talent, and offer an excellent range of training, shadowing and mentoring to ensure you reach your full potential.
As Senior Specialist Advisor you will have a crucial role leading the Development Management Team in one of our two authorities, with opportunity to work across both to enable a full range or urban and rural experience to be gained. The teams are currently being set up and your appointment will cement the team structure, and you will be responsible for the processing of all planning and related applications together with providing support and guidance to the team members.
We are looking for an individual with commitment, a high level of energy who can continue to achieving excellent performance whilst providing a fresh look at the service to deliver our continued improvement through our transformation process and beyond.
You will have line management responsibility for a team of Officers processing planning applications and related issues. As the planning expert you will evaluate recommendations on all types of applications and you will make sure that the Council provides an effective and customer focused planning service for the public. Your key responsibilities will include:
- Managing and formulating responses to pre-application enquiries
- Screening planning applications at verification stage
- Evaluation, negotiation, recommendation and sign off of applications
- Briefing committees and Council Members as well as representing the Council at appeals, hearings and public inquiries
- Leading planning service improvements and projects
- Assisting with recruiting and developing a well-functioning planning team and managing the team’s workloads, finances and budgets.
To succeed as Senior Specialist Advisor you must have competence in a variety of IT systems and packages, plus the ability to communicate with people of different social, economic and professional backgrounds. You must also have:
- A recognised planning qualification
- Full RTPI Membership
- Aptitude for progressing applications and development projects
- Management and supervisory experience
- High level communication and presentation skills including clear, concise reporting and correspondence particularly concerning complex or controversial issues.
We have a wide range of benefits on offer including:
- A flexible working environment, meaning you can work effectively in the office, at home or when on site
- An excellent work/life balance
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Discounted gym membership
- Childcare vouchers
If you would like to find out more about the role, or any other aspect of the advert, please contact Aidan Thatcher, Head of Planning on 01323 415612.
Closing date: Noon, Monday 19 February 2018
Interviews: w/c 26 February 2018