Senior Heritage Planner
About the firm
Montagu Evans advises on some of the UK’s largest commercial, residential and mixed-use property development projects.
As a partnership we understand the value of the people who make up the firm. They and our clients are at the heart of our business – many of our relationships span decades of working successfully together. The partnership comprises over 350 people, based in our UK offices from Scotland to London. We focus on four main sectors: housing, retail, business, public.
The practice is partner led, its success down to the personal qualities and talents of everyone. This is not a bland, corporate environment, or a rigid one. Partners are closely involved, and staff have the opportunity to work with different senior professionals. The Partners’ commitment, passion and experience are what makes Montagu Evans one of the UK’s most successful planning and development advisers.
“What we’ve created here is special; we’re not just a bunch of people going to do a job. Yes we’re a large collection of planners and surveyors…but together we have a unique commitment to our clients and colleagues; we’re truly a team and we treat everyone with respect, trust and honesty. We have some of the brightest minds in the industry and every day I’m surrounded by people who make me laugh, who I value the opinions of and who help each other enjoy what they do. We may not shout the loudest but in some respects, I admire that most…the humbling modesty of our incredibly talented group of people." – Rob Bower, Managing Partner
About the role
We are looking for talented, ambitious and personable senior planner, who specialises in the historic environment and design-related planning matters, to join our planning and development team. This person would work with a wide range of clients, from charities (government bodies, the NHS, universities) to leading blue chip developers and investors in all sectors. The work is largely in London and southern England but our expertise takes us around the country to work on complex projects, drawing on our wide experience. There is a great deal of expert work, on Appeals, in the Lands Tribunal and other areas where professional excellence matters. The successful candidate will be supporting partners in this work and so have extensive interaction with the legal profession (planning and property solicitors and barristers).
The right candidate will have the opportunity to progress up through our successful partnership and s/he will have exposure to a varied range of work. We offer a competitive remuneration package, experience in a position offering early responsibility with a strong client focus, and excellent career prospects which are limited only by your ambition.
Reports to: Senior Partner (Dr Chris Miele) – Planning
Location: Bolton Street, London W1J 8BA
- This consultancy sector attracts talent from a diverse background, and so we have an open mind about qualifications.
- Minimum 4 years post qualification experience of the consents process
- Obtained either providing all planning advice on heritage projects (and those involving sensitive land) and/or
- Working with planners as a specialist
- Membership in RTPI or equivalent RICS (development planning) is clearly one route, but LPA experience of development management combined with a conservation qualification is another or indeed even more traditional training in architectural history and design with similar experience
- We require this level of team member to work towards their relevant professional memberships (for example, IHBC and/or RTPI)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent writing
- A pragmatic problem-solving mind with
- Keen interest in the way planning and development shapes the historic environment and our quality of life.
- An ability to negotiate effectively
- Good communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Team player
- Committed and organised.
To apply, please send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org Quoting reference Number 52 in the subject title on the email.