Senior Town Planner
Arup is an independent firm of designers, planners, engineers, consultants and technical specialists offering a broad range of professional services. Through our work, we make a positive difference in the world.
Providing services to both private and public sector clients, our Planning team is at the forefront of delivering major projects which will help shape future growth across the UK. Going beyond traditional land use planning, our approach is to provide a holistic service to meet the aspirations and needs of developers, communities and planning authorities. Our clients expect us to provide the most innovative, professional and reliable advice.
In the North, we are growing our capability. We have an opportunity for two Chartered Senior Town Planners to join our both our Leeds and Manchester based teams, to work on a variety of projects, including infrastructure delivery, residential development, consultation, planning policy advice and socioeconomic work.
As a Senior Town Planner you will be responsible for supporting the team in accordance with a client’s objectives and timescales and you will be involved the following:
- Managing projects day to day; including planning consent and planning policy projects across a wide range of sectors (infrastructure, housing, waste/minerals, etc.)
- Identifying issues or risks that affect the delivery of a project and to identify measures to address the issue/risk and agree with the Project Director on how these measures will be implemented.
- Dealing with complex process and technical subject matter; and be able to convey this across to public and community groups at events in a way that can easily be understood and digested.
You will have the opportunity to work with a range of client bodies, inclusive of both private sector (promoters of infrastructure, utility companies and developers) and public sector (central and/or local government).
Influence and Drive:
- A good communicator who has demonstrated evidence of encouraging and motivating others and has experience of leading aspects of project work and coordinating the inputs of others.
- Enthusiasm for planning and keeping up to date with their technical knowledge.
- Understands the importance of networking and can demonstrate that they currently participate in professional networks.
Integrity and Capability:
- Someone who has sound technical skills and a client focused approach and can demonstrate that ability to build client relationships over the long term.
- Quick to pick up new subject areas and technical information.
Business Management and Focus:
- Experience of drafting planning reports/ strategies for clients, managing the preparation of planning applications and data analysis.
- Is creative and has the ability to consider a range of solutions, beyond the norm, to deliver a project.
- Understands the financial objectives of a large multi-disciplinary consultancy and be able to manage project finances.
Personal Development of Self and Others:
- Has a clear understanding of personal strengths and potential areas for improvement.
- Continuously challenges what he/she does and is comfortable with managing others so that they can perform more effectively demonstrating a strong work ethic and is conscientious, meticulous and thorough.
Reward and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits package in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical and mental wellbeing. You will also have access to a grade-related Flexible Benefits Fund which you can choose to take as extra cash, or spend on a wide range of Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
Shape your time with us
We are keen to support flexible and part-time working wherever the role allows. If you wish to explore the possibilities associated with this opportunity, please let us know what you’re looking for in your cover letter when you apply.
Please contact Tara.Birks@arup.com for more information. Closing date: 29 June 2018
Apply for Senior Town Planner
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly