Blackpool really is unique. Success here comes through grit and determination, from a desire to always find a way forward. It comes with the imagination to innovate and a sense of adventure. We’ve got a passion for Blackpool that’s seen more than a billion pounds worth of development and infrastructure investment secured to start building our future.
What makes Blackpool such an exciting, engaging and challenging place to practice planning?
- A £1billion+ growth and prosperity programme including £300m of themed leisure development; a £220m scheme to establish a gateway town centre civic and commercial hub; a 144 hectare Enterprise Zone to deliver 5,000 new jobs; £40.5m of Town Deal funding and a £28m conference and exhibition centre project
- Levels of deprivation that sadly top the national charts presenting a huge challenge both to improve the quality of life for our residents but also balance the needs of the resort with those of our communities
- Unitary administration bringing together the functions of planning, highway management, public protection, social care, education and health to enable a truly holistic approach to development and regeneration
- A legacy of historic development and a social and built profile that raises questions of planning law sufficient to really test your grey matter!
- Unique heritage with 6 Conservation Areas (and another on the way) and 46 Listed Buildings (including roller coasters, one of our three piers and, of course, our iconic Blackpool Tower!)
- A population of around 140,000 packed into a borough of less than 35 square kilometres! Blackpool is an incredibly compact urban authority and our lack of open space for new development to meet future needs demands innovative strategic planning
- A diverse offering of green infrastructure; Blackpool is sandwiched between two Special Protection Areas and includes a SSSI, 7 miles of glorious coastline and one of the biggest municipal parks in the country
- Fantastic location by the beach but right on the motorway network just an hour from Manchester, Liverpool, the Lake District National Park and the Trough of Bowland
- And we have a theme park!
You will be joining an incredibly passionate team of local people committed to addressing the challenges that Blackpool poses, and firmly re-establishing it as the country’s premier holiday destination. Dealing with predominantly major-scale and complex minor applications, you will contribute directly towards resort regeneration. Through your effective negotiation skills you will deliver sustainable, high-quality development that safeguards our most vulnerable, enhances our communities and changes the face of our town for the better.
We appreciate that you might not be local, and that you might not be in a position to relocate, but the world has changed a lot over the last year and we’ve learned new ways of working. If you are the right candidate for Blackpool, we would love to hear from you to explore options.
We are currently looking for a senior planner to join our busy Development Management team, working 37 hours a week on a salary of £34,728 to £38,890. Please click here to view our detailed job description and person specification and to apply. Blackpool Council is an equal opportunities employer.
If you would like to discuss this exciting opportunity in more detail, please call Susan Parker on 01253 476228.