Chief Executive, RTPI
London, Competitive Salary
The Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) champions the power of planning in creating prosperous places and vibrant communities. Using its expertise and research, it brings evidence and thought leadership to shape planning policies and thinking, putting the profession at the heart of society's big debates.
It sets the standards of planning education and professional behaviour that give planners, wherever they work in the world, a unique ability to meet complex economic, social and environmental challenges. It is the only body in the UK that confers Chartered status to planners, the highest professional qualification sought after by employers in both private and public sectors.The RTPI has 24,000 members worldwide.
Trudi Elliott, the outgoing Chief Executive has presided over a highly successful six year period for RTPI. Trudi will step down from the role of Chief Executive early in 2018 on the appointment of a successor.
The Chief Executive provides strategic advice to the Board of Trustees and strategic leadership to staff and volunteers.The Chief Executive is accountable to and supports the Trustees and the President in advancing the science and art of planning (including spatial planning) across the UK, Ireland and internationally including representing the organisation at events, with partners and in the media.
The Chief Executive will:
- Provide inspirational and effective leadership and direction for the RTPI and its membership.
- Develop strategies to enable the RTPI to influence policy evolution effectively and identify policy issues on which the RTPI should formally campaign.
- Develop and maintain effective networks, alliances and partnerships across a wide range of bodies with a common purpose, both within the UK and internationally.
The successful candidate will have:
- A good understanding of planning and the role of planning in society.
- A broad understanding of UK public policy and those organisations operating around it at national and local level.
- Experience working in a key leadership role in a complex organisation of comparable size
- Be able to influence and lobby at a high level; experienced working with senior politicians and officials.
The closing date for applications is the 30th October