Atkins is one of the world’s leading engineering, environmental and design consultancies offering unparalleled opportunities for talented individuals in search of a rewarding career. Our Planning and Environmental Consenting teams based in London, Birmingham, Leeds, Epsom, Bristol and Warrington work with Atkins’ businesses and clients across the UK, providing us with a variety of interesting and challenging development and infrastructure projects.
For a flavour of some of Atkins’ recent and varied planning projects, please see our Planning Brochure. Currently, key clients for the Midlands team include Highways England, HS2 Limited, the East West Rail Alliance, Severn Trent Water and local authorities.
We require an experienced Associate Planner to lead and develop the (presently four strong) Town Planning team in our Birmingham office. The person appointed will join a progressive national planning and environmental team with a wide range of client interests in the public and private sectors. The position will provide additional capacity to deliver our expanding workload and will play a key role in the development of our growing national business.
The position requires a Chartered Planner, combining an excellent track record in planning with particular experience in providing comprehensive advice to the transportation, development, water and energy sectors. The role will include working collaboratively with other environmental disciplines within the wider Atkins UK teams, and in applying the Development Consent Order (DCO) process.
- Identification, development and pursuit of new business and marketing opportunities in a range of sectors
- Preparation of tender responses
- Preparation of planning applications and supporting documents for development and infrastructure schemes
- Input into the preparation of Development Consent Orders and associated documentation
- Provision of planning advice to external and internal clients
- Co-ordination of and/or input into Environmental Impact Assessments (EIAs) and procuring wider consents
- Undertaking evidence based studies (such as employment land reviews, green belt studies, infrastructure assessments)
- Preparation of strategy and policy documents
- Preparation of area based plans (such as masterplans, supplementary planning documents)
- Management, including financial management, of projects
- Resource allocation in liaison with the Regional Practice Manager
- Mentoring and developing junior colleagues
- Checking and reviewing planning (and supporting) documents prepared by others
- A relevant planning degree or Masters (or equivalent)
- Chartered membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute
- Directly relevant post-chartership experience in a planning role, with a good knowledge of the Development Consenting Order Process from either a planning consultant/developer or local authority perspective
- Sound, in-depth knowledge of planning law and procedures, including the changing planning (and environmental) system at national and local levels
- Experience in the management and delivery of multi-disciplinary planning projects
- Proven ability to manage budgets
- Capable of working alongside and co-ordinating technical specialists providing input into planning submissions and EIAs
- Enthusiasm for, and experience, of managing and mentoring colleagues, to encourage the professional development of other members of the team
- Commercial expertise and market awareness, plus evidence of success in winning work and growing a team
- Consultancy experience is essential
The successful applicant must be flexible and self-motivated, and will be expected to demonstrate the following attributes:
- Good communication skills, with the ability to draft persuasive, accurate reports to a high standard
- An ability to work under pressure and have proven success in meeting tight deadlines
- An aptitude to work well as part of a team, but able to work with limited supervision
- A commercial approach and business development skills
- Willingness to work flexibly throughout the Midlands region and if necessary as part of a team embedded within a client organisation for periods of time
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to Atkins’ website for details of our full benefits package.