Principal Town Planner
Atkins is the largest engineering and design consultancy in the UK, the largest multidisciplinary consultancy in Europe and one of the largest design firms in the world.
Our Environmental Planning team works alongside Atkins’ wide range of businesses across the UK and directly with external clients, providing us with a variety of major development projects and related works.
We require an experienced Principal Town Planner to join a progressive planning and environmental team with a wide range of client interests within the public and private sectors. The position will seek to help to grow the delivery of our expanding workload in Environmental Planning. The person will play a key role in the development of our growing regional business, linking in with other parts of the environmental business throughout Atkins. The post would be based in either our Leeds or York office, with the requirement to work out our other UK offices, where the need arises, in order to meet the demands of our internal and external markets.
Initially the role would be supporting Network Rail in delivering a significant project in the north of England. However, there would be opportunities to work on a wide range of other types of infrastructure and development projects (roads, water, energy and housing developments), including those requiring Development Consent Orders.
The position requires a Chartered Town Planner, combining an excellent track record in environmental planning, with particular experience in providing consenting advice for rail projects.
- Responsible for managing the preparation and submission of consent applications through to successful approval
- Engagement with local planning authorities, statutory and non-statutory environmental bodies and other stakeholders
- Achieving, monitoring and reporting on financial and programme performance.
- Identifying and reporting on project risks and issues
- Provision of senior development planning support and advice to external and internal clients
- Identification, development and pursuit of new business and marketing opportunities in a range of sectors
- Management, including financial management, of projects
- Mentoring of junior staff
- A relevant planning degree
- Chartered membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute
- Relevant post qualification experience in a planning role, ideally in both the public and private sectors
- Significant experience of advising on DCO/TWAO/TCPA and hybrid Bill processes and programme and risk implications associated with these.
- A sound, in-depth knowledge of planning law and procedures, including the changing planning system at national, regional and local levels
- Experience in the management and delivery of multi-disciplinary planning projects, particularly in the infrastructure sector
- Excellent project management skills for multi-disciplinary projects
- Track record of providing advice for development planning, particularly in respect of water, energy, waste and transport infrastructure
- Experience of working within or supporting support an alliance made up of client, designers and construction contractors would be an advantage.
The successful applicant must be flexible and self-motivated and be expected to demonstrate the following:
- Excellent time management and communication skills, with ability to draft reports to a high standard
- Ability to work under pressure, and have proven success in meeting tight deadlines
- Confident team worker, but able to work with limited supervision
- Able to drive collaborative working behaviours on projects
- report writing skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss town planning issues.
- Ability to work under pressure, manage multiple high priority assignments and deliver to tight deadlines.
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic, determined and resilient.
- Flexibility to be able to apply knowledge and experience to a variety of planning related tasks.
- Commercial awareness and business development skills
- Flexibility to work in other Atkins offices according to workload demands.
Rewards and Benefits
Please refer to Atkins’ website for details of our full benefits package. Click here
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview.
If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.