Head of planning
At Cheltenham Borough Council we have an ambitious place making and growth agenda.
We need someone who can lead a high quality planning service with specialisms including development applications, planning policy, conservation and trees.
- Lead a high performing team within a culture of continuous review and improvement. You will foster challenge and innovation to help drive your service improvements with a focus on customer service and the Councils commercial agenda of increasing income, reducing costs and improving efficiencies.
- Deliver a high quality and consistent approach to decision making; balancing the ambition of the growth agenda alongside conservation and enhancement of our rich heritage and cultural offer.
- Ensure the timely adoption and review of local planning policies within the Council's Development plan, including, effective joint working with adjoining authorities and other relevant bodies under the ‘duty to co-operate’.
You must have
- Professional experience in leading planning and developing strategies and policies in town planning.
- Experience of effectively performance managing a diverse workforce & responding to diverse communities.
- Professional qualification in planning or related discipline to degree level, appropriate to the remit of the role, or equivalent by experience and membership of a relevant professional body.
- Ability to demonstrate sound knowledge and application of the statutory requirements and legalities in relation to planning services.
- Experience of effective budget management and delivering cost reductions whilst improving services, together with being able to look for business opportunities and assess opportunities within context of business unit.
A little more about Cheltenham Borough Council
This year, the council has been supporting the preparation of a place strategy for Cheltenham which sets out a shared vision for Cheltenham for the kind of town we want Cheltenham to be in the future.
The proposed vision for Cheltenham
“We want Cheltenham to be a place where everyone thrives”
We will do this by linking our heritage to an exciting future by being;
- Connected and re-connected
We are focused on our customer outcomes. We have focused our efforts on three high-level outcomes covering the issues that matter most to our residents, businesses and visitors. We also have an internal “transformation” outcome covering commissioning, asset management and financial management. The outcomes are:
- Cheltenham's environmental quality and heritage is protected, maintained and enhanced
- Sustain and grow Cheltenham’s economic and cultural vitality
- People live in strong, safe and healthy communities
- Our council can continue to facilitate the delivery of our outcomes for both Cheltenham and its
How do I apply?
- To apply for this vacancy please email your CV with supporting statement and your salary and any flexible working expectations; tell us more about your skills, knowledge, qualifications and experience and how they meet the criteria listed above. It’s important that we’re a good fit for each other, so we’d also like to know what’s important to you and why you want to work for Cheltenham Borough Council.
- To discuss the role in more detail please contact Tracey Crews, Director of Planning, Tel 01242 264126
- All successful applicants will need to provide evidence of their eligibility to work in the UK.
- If you do not hear from us within four weeks of the closing date, unfortunately your application has not been successful on this occasion.
Some of the benefits our employees enjoy at Cheltenham Borough Council:
- Eligibility to join a contributory Local Government Pension Scheme.
- Flexible working hours – flexi time scheme.
- Generous holiday entitlement of up to 30 days plus Bank Holidays – option to buy and sell holiday.
- Reduced gym membership. Employees receive a corporate membership – 20% off standard membership and 50% off joining fee on contracted and non-contracted memberships.
- Vodafone offer up to 20% off price plans for employees, friends and family members.