Northern Arc Strategic Development Manager
Spearhead Transformative Change!
Do you have a passion for planning and co-ordinating a complex and diverse programme?
Do you have a firm grasp of delivering strategic schemes?
Do you possess the drive to lead one of the most ambitious programmes of change in the South East of England!?
Located in the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, encompassing the South Downs National Park in the south of the District is Mid Sussex. A short distance from Gatwick, less than an hour from London and twenty minutes from Brighton, Mid Sussex is a very desirable place to live and work: indeed, it is regularly placed in the top 20 places to live in the country.
Mid Sussex is an ambitious authority with one of the most significant programmes of growth in the South East of England. With a vision to deliver transformative change to the town of Burgess Hill, which will secure major growth and significant improvements in housing, jobs, infrastructure, and social and community facilities. The programme will deliver 5,000 new homes, over 15,000 jobs, major improvements to key roads, new primary and secondary schools, increased capacity at GP practices, new and improved leisure facilities, and full-fibre digital infrastructure that will meet the needs of 21st century businesses. New transport infrastructure will connect all key development locations within and around Burgess Hill.
Mid Sussex District Council offices are situated in the town of Haywards Heath, right in the heart of the Sussex counties. It lies
- 36 miles south of London,
- 14 miles north of Brighton,
- 13 miles south of Gatwick Airport
- 31 miles east northeast of Chichester
The Council offices are mere 8 minutes from the train station which provides excellent rail links to;
- London - 49 mins
- Brighton - 15 mins
- Worthing - 37 mins.
As the Northern Arc Strategic Development Manager, you will be the Council’s technical planning lead, supporting the delivery of development at the Northern Arc, Burgess Hill. This will include acting as main technical liaison point between the Council and the Developer’s teams to secure the completion of an acceptable masterplan, an infrastructure delivery strategy and a consentable scheme.
This will require coordinating technical responses to developer’s work in progress pre–application, understanding and implementing development plan policies and the broader Council and community aspirations for the scheme.
To succeed and exceed in this role you will require the following abilities and skills;
- To act on your own initiative, lead and influence others including the developer’s team.
Presentation/public speaking skills including internal and external meetings involving a broad spectrum of disciplines
- Ability to plan and co-ordinate a heavy, complex and diverse programme
- Computer literacy/keyboard skills
- Ability to assimilate and analyse complex data
- Advanced communication skills, spoken and written
Local Lump Sum Car Allowance Scheme
Flexible working hours
Specific Service Area Responsibilities
- To act as lead technical coordinator for the Council in relation to pre-application advice and inputs into the Northern Arc masterplan and infrastructure delivery plan, and associated exercises, including inputs into design, housing, transport, viability, infrastructure, stakeholder management and community consultation exercises.
- To lead on and programme key technical meetings with the Homes England developer’s team to manage or commission key specific areas of work. This will include the need to identify key technical experts within the Council, County Council and other relevant agencies and seek their involvement as appropriate.
- To manage and coordinate the authorities input into external funding bids (such as HIF) as required and monitor and identify opportunities to do so.
- To provide regular briefings and advice to Council’s senior management team or technical and programming issues and anticipate and, where appropriate, recognise and escalate key issues which are likely to risk the programme.
- To support the development of an agreed delivery programme based on key milestones and delivery targets.
- To lead on external day to day relationships with the Town Council, the local community and key stakeholders.
- To line manage and assist in the development of junior members of the team involved in the Project. To assist in recruitment as required.
- The post holder’s responsibilities encompass a wide variety of responsibilities across the Planning Division. Consequently, they will need to report to both the Development Management and Planning Policy Business Unit Leaders as required.
- The post holder will be based at either the main Mid Sussex District Council offices or at several offices within the Burgess Hill area.
How to apply?
For an information pack or an informal and confidential discussion on this role, please call us now on 020 3475 0842. Our dedicated and manned hotline is open between 8AM - 9PM. Please do not hesitate to get in touch, we are looking forward to hearing from you. Email enquiries can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
*Lewis Davey is a specialist Town Planning Consultancy and has been appointed to manage the application process for all candidates. With over 20 years of Planning Recruitment experience and our ability to obtain direct answers to your queries means that you can get the information you need to start your application immediately. We are here to help facilitate the process.
Interview Date: 29th August 2018