The stunning landscape of Chichester Harbour is the perfect place to develop your career in planning. You will gain experience of working with Members and elected officials and will be fully supported on your route to full Charted Membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI).
Over 10,500 people live in the AONB, with many more within walking distance of the protected landscape. Planning control is a vital way in which the natural and cultural environment of Chichester Harbour is looked after. You would be joining the team at an exciting time as we are currently developing our Management Plan for the next five years.
As the Planning Officer, you will work closely with the Principal Planning Officer to positively help shape the future of our Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Full training, including managing Works Licences, will be provided.
This is an opportunity to join a friendly, multi-disciplinary team who are committed to protecting our beautiful landscape. We can offer you a competitive salary and generous leave allowance whilst working in a harbour-side office with unrivalled views across the water.
You will have a degree level qualification in a town and country planning related course and preferably be an RTPI member with knowledge of the English planning system and of how environmental designations affect planning law.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Act as a first point of contact for the general public for all planning enquiries.
- Respond to planning applications conducting site visits when necessary and liaising with CHC and Local Planning Authority (LPA) staff as appropriate.
- Respond to relevant planning consultations affecting the AONB, liaising with CHC and LPA staff as appropriate.
- Monitor decisions of the LPAs and make quarterly reports to the Planning Consultative Committee (PCC).
- Advise the PCC on any relevant local, regional and national strategies and policies and relevant appeal decisions and case law.
- Represent the Conservancy, with other staff as necessary, at appeals (including those heard by way of an Informal Hearing or Public Inquiry) and make additional written representations when necessary.
- Maintain an up-to-date electronic database of planning applications within the AONB.
- Attend and advise all meetings of the PCC and prepare written case reports and recommendations for them.
- Follow the delegated procedures protocol to deal with planning applications which are not required to go before the PCC.
- Assist with the development and submission of occasional planning applications made by CHC.
- Monitor development (authorised and unauthorised) taking place in the AONB and to liaise as necessary with the relevant LPA.
- Help to advise local community groups when formulating Neighbourhood Plans, Village Design Statements or other similar local level guidance/policy to ensure that these fully support the wider AONB designation.
- Assist with all Works Licence applications received by CHC and prepare reports for Members ready for decision-making and sign off on completed applications.
- Investigate reports of unauthorised works.
Find out more about Chichester Harbour Conservancy on our website by clicking on the 'Apply Now' button