Principal Policy and Research Officer
East Lindsey District Council is based at Manby just outside Louth, Lincolnshire. The Council has 375 staff and 55 Councillors with the next election takes place in May 2019.
The rich architectural heritage of East Lindsey is an important part of its character. The District has 17 conservation areas and just over 1400 listed buildings along with 150 Scheduled Ancient Monuments. It is also a wonderful place to live and work with amazing open spaces, an outstanding coastline, the Lincolnshire Wolds AONB, historic market towns and smaller rural villages.
The Council has a partnership with South Holland District Council, with the two Councils owning Compass Point Business Services - a company that provides Customer Services, Finance, HR, Revenues and Benefits and IT services to the two Councils. The Council also works closely with Magna Vitae Trust for Leisure and Culture - a charitable trust that provides, cultural, leisure and health services to the people of East Lindsey on the Council's behalf.
The Council has faced significant budget challenges in recent years and has worked hard to ensure it is able to continue to provide high performing services. The Council is looking at new ways of generating income, taking advantage of digital technologies and constantly reviewing its services to identify new and more efficient ways of working.
In the position of Principal Policy and Research Officer you will report to the Assistant Director (Growth), and lead a team of 4 policy planners and a part time administrative officer. You should have a relevant degree and either a planning diploma and/or other relevant professional qualification or experience gained in a planning over a number of years.
Day to day work as Principal and Research Officer shall include:
- To co-ordinate the work of the Planning Policy and Research Team in order to deliver the review of the local plan and research function. Be the lead officer at the Council`s Planning Policy Committee, proactively engage Members and provide complex policy advice.
- In association with the Assistant Director (Growth) project manage and co-ordinate the delivery, implementation and monitoring of the review of the Local Plan and associated documents, to manage the completion of the Annual Monitoring Report and other key spatial planning performance indicators for the delivery of the development plan and corporate priorities.
- To be the Council`s lead officer with regard to housing policy in terms of planning, the 5 year supply, the housing delivery test and the Council`s Housing Position Statement.
- To be the Councils witness in regard to policy matters for the Examination of the Local Plan, planning appeals and assist development management officers in the preparation of statements; attendance at informal hearings and site inspections. To make representations on behalf of the Council in respect of county, regional and national level consultations on planning policy.
- To manage external resources for the delivery of specific projects for the Local Plan including the process of tendering, short-listing, appointment and management of such resources.
For any questions or an informal conversation about this job opportunity please contact Anne Shorland, Assistant Director (Growth) on Anne.Shorland@e-lindsey.gov.uk or call on 01507 613141.
Click on the 'Apply Button' to complete the application form, once completed, please send your job application to email@example.com
Closing date: Friday, 30 November 2018.
For more information on the Principal Policy and Research Officer role please click on the job description below.