Your new role
As a Planning Manager, you will work within project controls for the Major Projects Programme Hub. Even though you will not directly work on any project or programme you will be key in working with the Major Projects Directorate planning community which includes 4 major programmes. Your role is accountable for reporting, analysing and auditing schedules to report at a directorate level. As the Subject Matter Expert lead, you will develop and embed the directorate Planning and Scheduling management strategy and undertake reviews to ensure effective schedule management processes are being implemented. You will also be responsible for the administration of the Highways England planning tool Primavera. You will be part of the Project Controls Team which will consist of 6 people and you will work collaboratively with internal and external stakeholders to deliver high levels of efficient customer service. You will maintain effective day to day working relationships with the project/programme and technical leads to ensure effective processing of risks/issues and delivery of projects against key milestones. You will be the first point of contact for all planning related queries and providing a single truth of progress against baseline. You will add value by focusing on defining processes as part of continuous improvement for the project controls team and promote best practice across the Major Projects Directorate for Planning. The role can be based in either Birmingham, Bedford or Manchester.
What you’ll be leading on
- Manage and monitor P6 administration - adding/deleting users, maintaining EPS, OBS and amending enterprise security settings. Maintain global codes, layouts and calendar
- Manage the planning system (Primavera) as the central point of contact for Major Projects
- Analyse and review schedules in accordance with Highways England governance procedures and report to Major Projects directorate level
- Embed the Quality Assurance process for the Major Projects Directorate and identify continuous improvement activities for reporting
- Be a team player through flexibility and adaptability to a range of tasks and responsibilities
To be successful
- You will be an experienced Primavera P6 Practitioner
- You will have understanding of and ability to apply best practice planning and scheduling
- Experience of working in a complex programme and project environment
- Proven experience of analysing and reporting on multiple schedules including understanding critical dependencies and identifying anomalies at a programme or portfolio level
- Proven track record of managing relationships with multiple stakeholders and evidence of skills to influence relationships for positive outcomes
A bit about us
The Major Projects Programme Hub provides a central, integrated programme management office for the Major Projects Directorate, responsible for defining the standards, processes, systems and governance arrangements that will be used throughout the Directorate for the delivery of projects and programmes. The Major Projects Programme Hub is also responsible for raising the level of professional capability in all programme management service functions and in project management as a whole. It also enables, advises and supports other services which are provided across the Major Projects Directorate.
Want to know more?
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
We reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.