Director of Planning and Park Direction
The Pembrokeshire Coast National Park is the only predominantly coastal National Park in the UK and boasts some of the most spectacular scenery and diverse wildlife in Britain including internationally important nature reserves, geology and archaeology.
We are seeking an individual who thrives in a role with a strong focus on people and places, and who can work with partners and stakeholders across Pembrokeshire, Wales and beyond to ensure the conservation of the special qualities of the National Park while supporting sustainable local communities.
The successful candidate will be able to generate and contribute towards corporate policies and programmes within the Authority and within a wider Welsh context. Crucially, you will provide the leadership for the delivery of the Authority’s statutory planning function as well as other services such as conservation, health and well-being and managing public rights of way, including the Pembrokeshire Coast Path National Trail.
You will be expected to travel, to act as advocate for our vision, and enhance our image and perception through your work, and your presence.
Purpose of the role;
As part of the Senior Management Team, to direct the strategic and operational activities of the Authority and to ensure they deliver the vision and priorities as set out by the Authority in line with our values, statutory purposes and Welsh Government priorities, and the resources of the Authority.
- Provide effective leadership, communicating a compelling vision for the Authority;
- Establish corporate and service strategic priorities and programmes;
- Ensure a robust high performance culture, with appropriate systems to deliver and monitor performance including risk management;
- Ensure the Authority develops and sustains a customer/citizen centred culture;
- Lead and direct the statutory planning function;
- Develop and maintain the managerial, governance and professional standing of the Authority;
- Develop and promote the values and principles of the Authority as an employer;
- Represent the Authority locally, regionally and nationally, contributing to National Parks Wales / National Parks UK / EUROPARC as required, acting as a key influencer on behalf of National Parks and the Authority; and
- Ensure that relevant Authority decisions are implemented, advise and consult with Authority Members on policy matters, maintain effective working relationships and deputise for the Chief Executive as required.
The ideal candidate will be;
- Educated to degree level or equivalent with full membership of the RTPI or a relevant related profession together with evidence of management learning and development;
- Experienced in managing staff in a complex and changing organisation in a customer oriented environment and experienced in working at senior management level with elected and appointed Members and the community;
- Experienced in corporate planning and governance and have an understanding of the Welsh political context, in particular, the impact of the Well-being of Future Generations Act, the sustainable management of natural resources and the challenges posed by climate change and the creation of a low carbon economy;
- Knowledgeable and with experience of the land-use planning system in Wales and the issues it faces for the future; and
- Understanding and appreciative of the culture, character, languages and environment of Pembrokeshire and Wales.
Salary and Benefits;
Basic salary up to £62,440, minimum 30 days holiday plus public holidays, local government pension scheme, flexible working arrangements, career development opportunities.
The position will be based at our HQ in Pembroke Dock which is easily accessible with ample free parking.
Relocation Package Available for the right candidate.
Closing Date; 09/05/19