Principal Planning Officer – Forward Planning
Stafford Borough Council is an award winning council that puts our customers first in all we do. We have ambitious plans to grow prosperity across the Borough while ensuring the area is an attractive place to live, work and visit. This role will be crucial to us achieving our goals.
It’s not often you get the chance to play a part in delivering once in a lifetime development projects. We are ‘going for growth’ with work on a New Local Plan to deliver significant development taking shape, including the opportunity to plan a new Garden Community of the future for around 10,000 new homes. You will be part of an exceptional team including support from a dedicated Programme Manager to ensure partnership working is achieved.
So who are we? Stafford Borough is the largest district council in the county, both geographically and in population. We have more than 130,000 residents, and the historic County Town of Stafford as its main centre. The Borough provides an interesting mix of urban and rural planning issues, and a variety of new challenges.
We now need an exceptional planning policy specialist to fill a crucial role at one of the most exciting authorities in the country. You will need to be ambitious, dynamic, a natural leader and inspiring to work with for our team, key stakeholders and local communities.
The role will include leading on the key projects, partnership co-ordination and managing a diverse team of specialists working on interesting and challenging projects as well as progressing the New Local Plan, Sustainability Appraisal and Habitat Regulations Assessments. Recent experience of representing evidence at Planning Appeals and Local Plan Examinations is necessary.
If you are looking for an exciting and varied role where no two days are the same and be a part of a friendly, supportive and professional team which helps to shape our Borough, then this is the opportunity for you.
Key Skills & Qualifications:
- Significant professional experience of planning policy and production of Local Development Documents, including Examination In Public and Appeals
- Enthusiasm, commitment and the ability to work to tight deadlines
- Educated to degree standard in planning with full RTPI membership
- Demonstrate high levels of complex negotiation, community engagement, presentation and advanced IT skills
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of statutory Regulations and the implications of national policy within a Local Plan context
- Enjoy both taking individual responsibility, leading a team and working as part of a busy Department with ambitious growth aspirations for the future
We offer attractive benefits and conditions including a salary based pension scheme, payment of professional fees, flexi-time, training and development opportunities.
Starting salary is dependent on qualifications and experience. For an informal discussion please call Karen Tierney on (01785) 619583 or Alex Yendole on (01785) 619536.
For further information and to apply, please visit our website at: https://www.staffordbc.gov.uk/jobs-and-careers
Closing date for completed applications: Sunday 7 July 2019
Interviews will be held: afternoons of Tuesday 16 July & Thursday 18 July 2019.