Principal Transport Engineer/Planner
Principal Transport Engineer/Planner
Salary Range: £40,449 - £45,524 per annum
Work Location: Elizabeth II Court, Winchester
Contract Type: Temporary and Permanent positions available
Do you want to make a positive difference to the lives of others?
The Economy, Transport and Environment Department at Hampshire County Council is seeking to grow its Transport Planning and Major Scheme Development teams to deliver even better outcomes for the residents, and businesses of Hampshire. We are looking for highly motivated, experienced transport planners who can work independently in a fast-paced environment to help develop strategies and schemes, bring forward approved plans, policies, and a substantial portfolio of infrastructure investment.
There are two Principal Transport Planner roles available, one of which will be a permanent post and the other a 4-year temporary post, which will be in either the Major Schemes Development Team or Transport Planning Team. Candidates will be considered for both positions during interview, please select your preference in your application.
The successful candidates will be required to manage their workload effectively with minimal supervision. You could be involved in shaping strategies for the future, managing major schemes and projects or in the development of other approved smaller integrated transport schemes from inception through to detailed design. Developing robust evidence bases and progressing bids for funding are key tasks, as well as securing funding through the DfT business case process to ensure schemes can be delivered as well as liaising with key stakeholders.
These are important roles within the broader Integrated Transport team as it helps shape and design future transformational improvements to the transport networks in the County. You will be part of an innovative team that in recent years have successfully increased the levels of funding for transport fourfold. You will report to the Strategic Transport Manager and the appropriate Team Leader. There may be direct line management responsibility as well as responsibility for managing framework consultants and internal and external project teams.
These opportunities would suit individuals with a broad transport planning background including experience of developing strategies and plans and/or developing large projects and directing and coordinating multiple professional disciplines and contractors. At a technical level you should also have an expert level of understanding of transport scheme development and Government business case and bidding processes.
Hampshire County Council is an equal opportunity employer that offers flexible and part time working arrangements, is interested in making the most of your skills, through our internal development programmes and training. If you are interested in these opportunities and want to be part of a strong and successful team please complete the online application process.
To develop transport strategies and the schemes in the Capital Programme or to develop major transport schemes and strategic projects and to secure substantial funding through the Full Business Case process working closely with key stakeholders and funding bodies. To support the Strategic Transport function in Hampshire and to support the Strategic Transport Manager.
- To support effective delivery of approved schemes in the Capital Programme to agreed budget timescales.
- Responsibility for strategy development in accordance with stated objectives.
- Responsibility for project development and the successful transition of the project to delivery within time, scope and cost parameters.
- Progressing the following tasks: scoping and optioneering, traffic modelling and economic appraisal, environmental appraisal, full business cases, engineering design, legal, financial, and communication aspects and securing Planning Permission etc.
- Attend consultations and provide advice to stakeholders regarding policies and schemes.
- Drafting decision reports for Director, Member and Cabinet approvals and to communicate effectively with elected Members and Stakeholders and attend committee meetings.
- Drafting project briefs and instructions and managing project change control.
- Submitting written and verbal reports to panels and committees for expenditure, project progression and consultation.
- Being fully engaged in multi-disciplinary project teams to develop the scheme to a point it transitions to delivery.
- Act as contact for project status, quality, scope control, issues, risks, financial and resource management.
- Produce technical reports/briefs to local authorities, consultants, other organizations and key stakeholders.
Essential Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant subject, or with current relevant work experience.
- Proven, relevant transport planning experience in the development of strategies, and/or the Project/Client Management of transport schemes and projects.
- Technical Skills across a range of transport planning functions.
- Effective communication, leadership, influencing, written and problem-solving skills.
- Good political experience, awareness and sensitivity.
- Proven ability in project/programme management.
- Understanding of corporate policies and strategies.
Desirable Qualifications Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Membership of relevant professional institution (e.g. chartered planner, engineer or incorporated engineer/project management qualification).
- Project, programme, budget management and technical skills.
- Knowledge of relevant legislative and regulatory context and political awareness and sensitivity, understanding of corporate policies.
- Experience of Government Agencies/LEPs.
- Display Screen Equipment User.
- Driving HCC pool vehicle and own vehicle for work purposes to meet the travel requirements of the role.
- Some site visits with full/part protective clothing according to location/risk.
- Working outside normal office hours on occasions to attend meetings or consultations in the evening and at weekends.
Contact details for an informal discussion:
Dominic McGrath, Strategic Transport Manager on 01962 846054 or Heather Walmsley, Strategic Transport Manager on 01962 846089.
Please click on the 'Apply Button'
Hampshire County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and adults. We expect all employees, workers and volunteers to share this commitment. We will ensure that all our recruitment and selection practices reflect this commitment.
Corporate Equalities Employment Policy: In order to combat indirect discrimination, no unnecessary conditions or requirements will be applied to any for achieving equality of opportunity in its employment practices. All sections of the population will have equal access to jobs. No applicant or employee will receive less favourable treatment because of their gender, disability, age, ethnic or national origin, marital status, creed, sexuality, trade union activity or responsibility for dependants unless a Genuine Occupational Qualification (GOQ) applies. In order to combat indirect discrimination, no unnecessary conditions or requirements will be applied to which would have a disproportionately adverse effect on any one group.