Planning Officer (Policy)
Planning Officer (Policy)
Salary of up to £28,785 per annum
Exmoor House, Dulverton, Somerset
Exmoor National Park Authority is the organisation that manages a unique and beautiful part of the country that has been shaped by nature and people over thousands of years.
From the high cliffs that plunge into the Bristol Channel to the vast moorlands of North Devon, Exmoor offers drama, tranquillity, beauty and adventure. Whether it’s the wild red deer, villages bursting with character or dark skies full of stars, it is a place of rare experiences, stunning vistas and engaging environments.
As an Authority, we fulfil our statutory planning functions in a way that delivers National Park Purposes while contributing to sustainable communities and economies, ensuring that this stunning part of the world is conserved and enhanced for future generations.
We are currently looking for a Planning Officer to join our passionate team and support the delivery of our sustainable development plans.
- Salary of up to £28,785 per annum
- Government pension
- Flexible working
- Family friendly schemes
- Dog friendly office
- Paid sickness leave
- Social events
- 29 days’ holiday plus Bank Holidays
This is a great opportunity to join an organisation that offers comprehensive training, which includes an induction where you’ll spend time with our Rangers and discover why we are so passionate about Exmoor.
We believe in promoting a healthy work-life balance and providing a welcoming, collaborative culture where staff have the flexibility, freedom and support they need to thrive.
Based in a beautiful wooded valley beside the River Barle, we have one of the world’s most breath-taking work environments. Well-behaved dogs are welcome in our office, so we often go out for lunchtime walks to enjoy the clean country air, recharge and enjoy Exmoor’s beauty.
What’s more, we are a Mindful Employer and are dedicated to raising awareness of mental health in the workplace. We have trained staff who can assist with mental health issues, as well as a 24/7 independent and confidential employee helpline, should you ever need it.
As a Planning Officer, you will develop and deliver sustainable development policy and plans that conserve and enhance Exmoor’s special qualities.
In this varied role, you will create and implement policies and proposals, including statutory and non-statutory policy documents.
You will also:
- Review and analyse legislation, national policy, guidance and evidence to inform the preparation of development plan documents and SPDs (Supplementary Planning Documents)
- Lead on all aspects of local planning policy monitoring work
- Provide policy advice on rural exception site schemes and the implementation of environmental improvement schemes
- Organise and attend public consultation events
To join us as a Planning Officer, you will need:
- Experience of handling complex and sensitive planning issues using an analytical and decisive approach
- Detailed knowledge of the planning process, legislation, government guidance and procedures
- A Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI) recognised planning degree
- Professional membership of the RTPI or eligibility for membership
- The ability to write effective, clear and robust policies, reports and plans
- A full driving licence
The closing date for applications is midday on 7th October 2019, with interviews scheduled to be held on the 17th October 2019.
Other organisations may call this role Planning Policy Officer, Policy Officer, National Park Planning Officer, Rural Planning Officer, Planner, Policy & Planning Officer or Planning Monitoring Officer.
As a service provider and local employer, Exmoor National Park Authority is committed to promoting equal opportunities and tackling social exclusion in everything it does. The Authority recognises its statutory equality duties under legislation in terms of service provision and employment and is committed to meet them.
So, if you are seeking your next step as a Planning Officer, please apply via the button shown. This vacancy is being advertised by Webrecruit. The services advertised by Webrecruit are those of an Employment Agency.
Working hours: 37 hours per week