Planning Officer (Dev Plans-HG)
Planning Officer (Dev Plans-HG)
Salary: £24,799 - £28,785
Hours: Full time, (37)
Milton Keynes is a rapidly expanding, vibrant and dynamic place to live, work and play. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with Milton Keynes Council. So if you're looking for an excellent benefits package and the chance to make a difference, make a move to Milton Keynes Council. With modern working practices where flexibility is commonplace and performance is measured on outcomes and results, alongside a generous holiday entitlement, you can experience a fulfilling job and great work-life balance.
Milton Keynes is a rapidly expanding, vibrant and dynamic place to live, work and play. It is on track to become the largest city in South East England outside of London. Already one of the most economically productive areas in the country, Milton Keynes is also at the heart of the Cam-MK-Ox growth arc and significant rail and road infrastructure projects, and is at the forefront of local government endeavours to facilitate place making that will make Milton Keynes a more socially and environmentally sustainable place to live, work, study and play. Now is an exciting time to join a team and service tasked with planning for growth that will double the population of Milton Keynes to 500,000 people by 2050 and tackle some of the most complex and interesting contemporary place making challenges in the UK. To help us get there, we need a proactive, diligent and adaptable planner who can support the team, learn quickly and take on work that will help develop their career in planning. You will make an important contribution to the continued success of Milton Keynes through a unique and rewarding career with Milton Keynes Council. So if you’re looking for an excellent benefits package and the chance to make a difference, make a move to Milton Keynes Council. Please apply online or submit an up to date CV and covering letter. For any queries about the role or to have an informal discussion about it please contact Andrew Turner, Development Plans and Delivery Manager (01908 254892 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Support the production, review and update of statutory Development Plan Documents and other planning policy documents
- Support the preparation of technical evidence to support plan making and the delivery of development. This may include leading on certain studies and pieces of work, procurement and contract management
- Develop positive working relationships with service areas in the Council to ensure planning policy reflects their priorities and enables their needs to be met via development where appropriate
- Build and maintain relationships with important stakeholders
- Help organise, attend and facilitate consultation events and wider stakeholder engagement activities
- Identify, analyse and evaluate a wide range of information relating to the physical, social, economic, environmental and demographic development of the Borough
- Provide planning policy advice to the Development Management Team, Councillors, service areas and other stakeholders as necessary
- Help prepare responses to national, regional and local consultations affecting the Borough.
- Work with colleagues to identify, secure and manage sources of funding that will help the Council deliver its growth ambitions
Experience, Qualifications and any Mandatory Requirements
- Degree (or equivalent) in Town Planning or a related subject
- A good understanding of the planning and plan making system, including legislation and national planning policy and guidance.
- An understanding of local government procedures
- Highly self-organised with effective time management skills
- Proficient ICT skills
- Effective analytical and critical thinking skills
- Effective communication skills
Departmental Benefits of this role
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates
- Competitive salary
- A generous minimum holiday entitlement of 27 days per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Option to buy more annual leave
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Home working as a default, with basic equipment support provided by the Council. Ability to work in the office when necessary or desirable due to personal circumstances.
- Flexi Time system allowing 1 flexi day leave per month.
- iPad and iPhone
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings including retail, travel and leisure discounts as well as a suite of salary sacrifice benefits.