Senior Planning Officer (Dev Plans-HG)
Senior Planning Officer (Dev Plans-HG)
Salary: £39,782 - £43,662
Milton Keynes is a rapidly expanding, vibrant and dynamic place to live, work and play. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with Milton Keynes Council. So if you're looking for an excellent benefits package and the chance to make a difference, make a move to Milton Keynes Council. With modern working practices where flexibility is commonplace and performance is measured on outcomes and results, alongside a generous holiday entitlement, you can experience a fulfilling job and great work-life balance.
Milton Keynes is a rapidly expanding, vibrant and dynamic place to live, work and play. It is on track to become the largest city in South East England outside of London. Already one of the most economically productive areas in the country, Milton Keynes is also at the heart of the Cam-MK-Ox growth arc and significant rail and road infrastructure projects, and is at the forefront of local government endeavours to facilitate place making that will make Milton Keynes a more socially and environmentally sustainable place to live, work, study and play. Now is an exciting time to join a team which is being tasked with planning for growth that will double the population of Milton Keynes to 500,000 people by 2050 and tackle some of the most complex and interesting contemporary place making challenges in the UK. To help us get there, we need a proactive, diligent and experienced senior planner who can work with a high degree of autonomy. You will make a major contribution to the continued success of Milton Keynes through a unique and rewarding career with Milton Keynes Council. So if you’re looking for an excellent benefits package and the chance to make a difference, make a move to Milton Keynes Council.
For any queries about the role or to have an informal discussion about it please contact Andrew Turner, Development Plans and Delivery Manager (01908 254892 or [email protected] Please apply online or submit an up to date CV and covering letter to [email protected] setting out how your experience, qualifications, skills and knowledge meet the requirements of the role as set out within the Person Specification.
- Build and maintain relationships with Duty to Cooperate bodies and other important external stakeholders
- Produce, review and update statutory Development Plan Documents and other planning policy documents
- Lead on the preparation of technical evidence to support plan making and the delivery of development. This may include leading multi-disciplinary teams, procurement and contract management
- Develop positive working relationships with service areas in the Council to ensure planning policy reflects their priorities and enables their needs to be met via development where appropriate
- Organise, attend and facilitate consultation events and wider stakeholder engagement activities
- Identify, analyse and evaluate a wide range of information relating to the physical, social, economic, environmental and demographic development of the Borough
- Provide planning policy advice to the Development Management Team, Councillors, service areas and other stakeholders as necessary
- Prepare responses to national, regional and local consultations affecting the Borough
- Work with colleagues to identify, secure and manage sources of funding that will help the Council deliver its growth ambitions
- Represent the Council and defend the Council’s planning policies at Examinations in Public, public inquiries and hearings.
- Support the development of junior colleagues within the team
- Experience, Qualifications and any Mandatory Requirements
- Extensive knowledge of the plan making system, including legislation and national planning policy and guidance, with a depth of knowledge in one or more areas of planning policy (e.g. climate change, transport, housing)
- Good understanding of local government procedures
- Degree (or equivalent) in Town Planning or a related subject
- Chartered Membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute (Licentiate or Full Member)
- Highly self-organised
- Effective time and project management skills
- Proficient ICT skills
- Well-developed analytical and critical thinking skills
- Effective communication and negotiation skills
Departmental Benefits of this role
- Local Government Pension Scheme, considered to be one of the best employer contribution rates
- Competitive salary
- A generous minimum holiday entitlement of 27 days per year in addition to statutory and public holidays, rising to 31 days after 5 years
- Option to buy more annual leave
- A full range of family friendly policies including enhanced Maternity, Adoption and Paternity entitlements
- Home working as the default with basic equipment support provided by the Council. Ability to work in the office where necessary or desirable for personal circumstances.
- Flexi Time system allowing 1 flexi day leave per month.
- iPad and iPhone provided
- MK Advantage benefits package – a range of savings including retail, travel and leisure discounts as well as a suite of salary sacrifice benefits.