Principal Planning Officer (DM)
Principal Planning Officer (DM)
£40,876 - £44,863
Closing date: 04/01/2021
Milton Keynes is a rapidly expanding, vibrant and dynamic place to live, work and play. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with Milton Keynes Council. So if you're looking for an excellent benefits package and the chance to make a difference, make a move to Milton Keynes Council. With modern working practices where flexibility is commonplace and performance is measured on outcomes and results, alongside a generous holiday entitlement, you can experience a fulfilling job and great work-life balance.
Proactive, ambitious and hardworking, you will confidently work with fellow officers and efficiently handle planning matters, to deliver a flawless development management service for Milton Keynes Council. Handling a varied caseload with an emphasis on large scale major development, you will work closely with others, helping to shape Planning Services to deliver physical, social and economic growth for Milton Keynes. You will also be responsible for signing-off delegated decisions and will have direct management responsibility for 2-3 junior officers. This role is accountable to the Team Leaders and offers a fantastic opportunity for professional development in a rapidly growing area of the country. This post is advertised following a positive restructure to create new roles and new opportunities for progression within the DM Team, and to meet the high demand and ambitions for growth with the borough.
- Building and maintaining positive and effective working relationships with a variety of stakeholders providing a positive professional approach, focused on achieving results.
- Champion equality and diversity across the Council and the wider Borough.
- Ensuring that all planning applications are efficiently and professionally determined whilst delivering an excellent customer service experience. Utilising creative problem solving skills when required.
- Playing a key role in bringing forward development that will shape the built environment of Milton Keynes and the physical, social and economic growth of the Borough. Developments may have a major influence on the quality of life and wellbeing of those living and working in, and visiting, the Borough of Milton Keynes.
- To attend local town and parish council meetings and other public meetings to provide advice, guidance, expert professional opinion and information about development proposals.
- Keep up to date with changing technical, legislative and organisational requirements by undertaking appropriate development and training.
- To ensure that the service is customer focused and responsive, delivering high levels of customer and stake holder satisfaction.
- To regularly carry out site inspections, attend site meetings and other meetings held away from the normal place of work.
- To attend and present cases at the Development Control Committee when required.
- To attend and chair a variety of meetings providing professional advice and working in a collaborative manner.
- Supporting the work of the Development Management Team to individually and collectively deliver effective Development Management and continuous improvement to the service.
Experience, Qualifications and any Mandatory Requirements
- Extensive knowledge and experience of Development Management and town planning
- Chartered Member of the Royal Town Planning institute
- Outstanding customer service and communication skills
- An ability to plan, manage and organise your own work and work to deadlines
- Excellent written and confident verbal communication skills, including the handling emotive situations
- Strong IT skills and experience of case management databases and DPA/GDPR compliance
- Natural ability to maintain and build effective working relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- A proactive nature and ability to work using own initiative – making constructive contributions
Departmental Benefits of this role
- Flexible working options
- Issued with various IT equipment to work effectively and remotely