Strategic Planner / Strategic Planning Manager
Persimmon Homes Severn Valley based in Portishead, North Somerset, require a motivated and enthusiastic Strategic Planning Manager to join their Land team. Reporting to the Land Director, you will be part of a small yet busy team seeking to find new sites for residential development as well as creating and implementing strategies to promote and obtain planning consent on strategic sites the region already has control of. You will be exposed to a wide range of planning and land related tasks including, but not limited to:
- Reviewing the sites the company controls which do not have the benefit of any form of planning consent and using a sound planning knowledge, creating and implementing strategies for the promotion of those sites for residential development before presenting those strategies to the Land Director and others
- Working with the team to create and implement a strategy for identifying new strategic sites for the company to pursue control of, using a sound planning and based on focusing on areas the company wish to have a presence in from a commercial point of view
- Approaching landowners and agents with the view to using your sound knowledge of the planning system to give them the comfort that their land is in capable hands should they choose to enter into an agreement with the company, outlining your strategy for the sites promotion
- Engaging with and creating relationships with planning policy officers across the region
- Understanding, monitoring and managing option agreements in place on existing and future sites the region controls, ensuring that requirements are met (such as landowner updates) and that deadlines are understood within the wider strategy context
- Monitoring and keeping up to date on the latest planning changes, both across the local authority areas the region covers as well as at a national level
- With support where necessary from the Graduate/Assistant Planner, writing and submitting representations to planning policy consultations across the local authority areas which the region covers, commenting on any elements within those policies which will impact on the company as well as promoting sites the region controls
- Co-ordinating, submitting and managing a range of planning applications at a range of scales from sites of circa 50 dwellings to sites of 500+ dwellings. This will involve writing a number of reports to support the applications (Planning Statement etc) as well as tendering to, instructing and managing a suite of external consultants. It will also involve the setting up, getting internal sign off and management of budgets.
- Delegating work to the Graduate/Assistant Planner and providing guidance which facilitates their development, keeping them enthused and motivated.
- Monthly to bi-monthly reporting
The successful candidate will have a qualification in an RTPI accredited course relating to town planning and ideally (though not essential) be a chartered member of the RTPI. Ideally the successful candidate will have post qualification experience and be in a senior planning role, though lesser experience may be acceptable should the candidate have the knowledge and competencies required.
With a great deal of responsibility for managing and building on the regions strategic portfolio as well as creating and implementing strategies for the promotion of those sites, the successful candidate must be able to demonstrate that they have experience and the competency to be proactive and work largely on their own initiative, seeking direction from others won occasion.
The successful candidate will also have excellent written, interpersonal and organisational skills and enter each task with motivation and enthusiasm.
You must also have a full UK driving licence as your work will involve driving to meetings as well as conducting site visits.
Competitive Salary, Company Car/Car Allowance, Pension, Life Assurance & Bonus
Offers of employment are subject to a satisfactory background check e.g. employment history and criminal record check. These background checks are job specific to certain vacancies within Persimmon.