Senior Policy Officer
Carrington West are assisting their local authority client based in the Home Counties in the search for a Senior Planning Policy Officer. This will be on an initial 12-month contract, although this is likely to role on due to the critical stage of their local plan.
Main roles to be related to local plan production. You will be expected to work on the evidence base for strategic sites in the Local Plan, which will involve close liaison with landowners and their agents. The ideal candidate will also have an interest or experience in urban design and/or sustainability matters.
MAIN DUTIES -
(Please note the role can be tailored around your strengths)
- Assist in the preparation, monitoring and review of the Council's Local Plans as set out in the Local Development Scheme and subsequent revisions/updates to that document.
- To take a leading role in the operation and review of the Council's Developer Framework including the Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL), working with both the Monitoring and Research Officer and the CIL officer working group.
- To assist the Planning Strategy Manager in assessing CIL expenditure bids and the preparation of recommendations for the CIL Investment Panel.
- Carry out, or project manage, research projects to support the development and implementation of planning policy documents in liaison with other officers and any relevant outside organisations. To provide day to day management of any consultants appointed to undertake research projects as part of the evidence base to support the preparation of Local Plans.
- Under the guidance of the Planning Strategy Manager, to provide key support on the preparation and review of the Council's Economic Development Strategy and initiatives to attract inward investment including the completion of funding bids for external grant applications to deliver key development and regeneration priorities.
- Assist with the process of public consultation and participation on Development Plan and Supplementary Planning Documents, as well as other community engagement undertaken by the section.
- In respect of development proposals, assist Development Management Officers, in the preparation of evidence to be presented to public inquiries, provide written statements on policy matters for appeals and provide support or give evidence at public inquiries as necessary.
- Provide information and supporting statements as part of the preparation of Public Examination and Public Inquiry and present and/or give evidence as necessary.
- Take a leading role in other planning and transport-related projects undertaken by the Planning Strategy team including site-specific planning briefs, parking strategy work and joint working with the County Council on Local and Urban Transport Plans.
- Prepare and present reports to Committees, Panels and the Executive on a range of matters.
- Working with external consultants, where necessary, assist in the carrying out of Sustainability Appraisals and Strategic Environmental Appraisals of emerging policy documents.
- Answer queries from members of the public, liaise as necessary with officers of the Council, County Council, adjoining Local Authorities, government departments and other relevant organisations. Provide any necessary input to sustainability work led by the County Council, the Waste and Minerals Local Plans and the monitoring of Local Plans in adjoining local authorities.
It would be beneficial to hold a Post-graduate degree in planning, regeneration or a related discipline, and have a Membership (or eligible for membership) of the RTPI. Interviews are to be scheduled ASAP so please do not hesitate to get in touch if this post is of interest.
Carrington West Pay Rate - £45p/h (DOE)
Job Ref - 26271
Please call Cameron de Wit on 02393 876014 for a confidential discussion on this role, or email the below to highlight your interest:
Carrington West's dedicated Town Planning Recruitment Team supply clients UK wide on both a permanent and contract basis and all levels of seniority. If this role is too senior, too junior or in a location that is unsuitable, but you are keen on options, please still feel free to apply and we can discuss other, often unadvertised roles with you.
Apply for Senior Policy Officer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly