Senior Economic Development Officer
Senior Economic Development Officer
Contract Type – Permanent
Section – Economic Development and Regeneration
Salary Band – 3c
Annual Salary – Up to £38k (£34,728 plus market supplement)
Hours – 37 per week
Are you looking to advance your career in economic development and really make your mark on a place?
Now is a great time to join Selby District Council and be part of delivering an exciting economic and regeneration agenda at the heart of Yorkshire. We have strategic sites to deliver, with the scope to bring thousands of jobs, plus diverse opportunities to support business growth and ambitious place-making projects within our town centres. We are aiming high and need someone with a similar level of commitment and the desire and ability to really make their mark on this special part of Yorkshire.
Selby District is a great place to be. Our market towns and picturesque villages provide a good quality of life. North Yorkshire is one of the safest counties in England and we benefit from top quality education, including one of the best further education colleges in England. House prices here are generally lower than our urban neighbours so you get more for your money. We are extremely well connected too, with great road and rail links to all parts of the UK. Being within easy reach of Yorkshire’s leading cities - dynamic Leeds and historic York are a short journey away via regular train and bus links - we offer the best of both worlds.
What’s the job?
Comprising two small teams that work closely together, the Council’s Economic Development and Regeneration Unit was established in 2017 to deliver an ambitious new strategy. It has a key role to play in the future of Selby District and helping to deliver high quality development and place making and support sustainable economic growth and investment. Selby District is the fastest growing part of North Yorkshire and you will be helping to deliver large development projects, from major employment schemes to transformative place making projects. It is a rewarding and challenging place to work.
You will play a key role within the Economic Development team and also work in close partnership with the Regeneration Team, together with colleagues in planning, community, housing and property teams. In this two-tier area you will need to be adept at partnership working to build the case for investment in our area and successfully delivering sites and enhanced places and infrastructure with developers, LEPs, the County Council, neighbouring authorities, transport bodies and other key players. The role requires you to deliver a broad economic agenda, including:
- supporting the creation of good economic growth in the district, promoting Selby District for investment and enhancing the Council’s record and reputation for delivering economic and regeneration priorities.
- creating and maintain strong and collaborative relationships with key delivery partners and influencing their strategies and priorities to the deliver Council’s economic aims
- delivering new opportunities to promote and grow the district’s economy and maximise the full potential of our community and places
- working with businesses, developers, the LEP and other partners to secure inward investment and business growth, in accordance with the Economic Development Framework, including funding for place-making and improved infrastructure
- providing specialist analysis and technical information to Councillors, Leadership Team, Senior Managers and staff on economic development issues and intelligence
- reviewing and contributing to internal and external economic and infrastructure strategies and initiatives, including government, Northern Powerhouse, Transport for the North and LEPs
- assisting with financial and performance recording and monitoring, including the preparation of Portfolio Holder reports to Council and Corporate Performance reports on behalf of the Economic Development team.
- responsibility for the Economic Development CRM system, updating it to meet core business needs, drive forward product development and develop reports to support management needs.
- Promoting and marketing investment opportunities in Selby District
- Supporting delivery of regeneration, town centre improvement and business support activities
Who are we looking for?
We need an experienced economic development professional with good knowledge of policy and effective practices to play a key role in our Economic Development Team and drive forward delivery. This work involves negotiation on behalf of the Council, working outside established policy and procedures, together with developing strategy and working with others in ways that deliver the Council's aims. You will need the presentational and influencing skills to represent the Council at a senior level with businesses, politicians and partner organisations.
The successful candidate will have broad experience of economic development and of delivering varied economic projects and strategies whilst working successfully with political, corporate, commercial and community stakeholders. You will manage a range of economic projects and work streams, liaising with and taking guidance from the Economic Development Manager and Head of Service. You should be flexible, positive and motivated.
If you are interested in this role and would like to know more, please contact Julian Rudd (Head of Economic Development & Regeneration) via [email protected]or 07932 603086.
How to apply
To apply for this role, please visit our dedicated campaign site by clicking apply.
Closing date: Midnight on Sunday June 13th 2021
Interviews: 23 and 24 June 2021
Applications for Job Share will be considered sympathetically.
Selby District Council is an equal opportunities employer.