Senior Planning Officer
Your New Organisation
Eastleigh Borough Council is situated in the heart of South Hampshire, bordering the River Hamble and The Solent and a short drive from The New Forest and South Downs National Parks and has excellent travel connections by road, rail and air.
They have big ambitions and have embarked on a complete range of major projects and initiatives which include the creation of a green borough, enabling healthy communities, promoting prosperity for Local Businesses and the provision of a more diverse mix of housing to meet residents’ needs.
Respected by key partners, their culture is based on supporting each other to achieve results. Their values are to take pride, think customer, think colleague and think differently, and it’s these values that their staff embody in their day to day work and help to make Eastleigh a great place to work. As an employer they offer a great range of benefits, a commitment to continuous professional development and a friendly, nurturing environment.
They have ensured, despite the economically challenging last few years, no reduction in their services and indeed have expanded many areas of service delivery, including Development Management and Planning Enforcement.
As a result. they currently have several great opportunities within their Planning Team at various levels which will help ensure the delivery of a high, quality service to support communities and improve lives.
Your New Role
As part of expansion of resources within the team, they are looking for two Senior Planning Officers to work in their Development Management team. The team deals with a variety of residential and commercial, major and minor applications on urban and countryside sites and is within a Borough which is planning for significant new development in line with an emerging Development Plan.
The role will involve being the lead officer on a range of minor and major pre-application enquiries and planning applications within; town and local centres, countryside, conservation areas: listed buildings; and within areas of nature conservation and ecological value and other duties will include:
· Negotiating improvements and secure a varied and extensive package of measures the through S106 Agreements
· Leading on presentations to the planning committee and councillor briefings.
· Defending the council’s decision at appeal via the hearing and public inquiry process
· Mentoring and developing planning officers and the technical support team as well as contributing to the delivery of the Council’s Housing Delivery programme and the excellent performance standards.
What You’ll Need To Succeed
Your work will require you to possess strong political awareness, be proactive and customer focused and be a clear communicator who can work with a range of partners and agencies to achieve the best outcomes for the residents and the businesses of the Borough.
What You’ll Get In Return
Eastleigh are committed to supporting and developing all their staff and creating a culture that is inclusive, innovative and enjoyable. They support their staff in maintaining a good work life balance through their innovative flexi time system.
They also have an excellent package of benefits including:
· 25-28 days annual leave dependant on service
· Flexible working arrangements and ability to accrue up to 2 days additional leave per month
· Defined Benefit Pension Scheme
· Places Leisure, Eastleigh – 30% off Full Membership
· Confidential Employee Advice and Support Programme
· Car and Season Ticket loans
· Excellent working environment
· Support for continuous professional