Join us at London Borough of Hillingdon, an exciting place to develop your career in town planning that offers a wide range of varied and engaging planning opportunities. We are looking for dedicated, dynamic, enthusiastic and passionate individuals to work across two new Area Planning Teams. We are at the heart of regeneration and change in West London and Hillingdon is planning for unprecedented growth and development with a strong emphasis on high quality and sustainable development.
About the Apprenticeship:
An excellent opportunity has arisen for 2 Planning Apprentices to work within one of our two newly created Area Planning Teams. Town planning is a challenging and rewarding career. It is aimed at improving the places in which we live, work and play. Using the tools that your professional and vocational training gives you, the successful candidate will realise and sustain that vision.
The successful applicants will receive training in all aspects of Development Management including the registration and validation of planning submissions, the processing of planning applications and all aspects of the appeals process.
As part of the apprenticeship you will be required to ensure that the service meets performance targets, provide high standards of customer service and ensures good quality development is delivered.
We are focused on delivering an excellent service to our residents and community. This is an exciting opportunity for the right candidate to join our team.
Requirements and prospects Desired skills
- Ability to think critically and creatively
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Interpersonal and communication skills required for relationship management
- Good time management skills
- Ability to understand architectural drawings
- Full driving licence is desirable
- A ‘can-do’ attitude
- Willingness to learn about planning
- Confident and persuasive
- Ambition and ability to develop new relationships, and manage existing relationships
- Politically interested and engaged (i.e. town planning is a political process)
Desired qualifications MA Chartered Town Planner (Apprenticeship) (PT)
- A minimum 2:2 degree, or equivalent, in an appropriate subject area, such as built environment and social science subjects. Applicants with a non-cognate degree and several years’ relevant work experience may be offered a place, if they can demonstrate a suitable level of specialist subject knowledge.
- Applicants must hold 5 GCSEs A-C including Maths and English, or equivalent (reformed GCSEs grade 4 or above).
The on-the-job element of your apprenticeship will give the opportunity to work and network with other professionals in the industry and begin to develop your network that can support you throughout your career. All of London South Bank University apprentices become student members of the RTPI giving you access to seminars, publications and other professional opportunities.