Planning Officer (DM)
Salary: £25,481 - £29,577
Closing Date: 15/08/2021
Milton Keynes is a rapidly expanding, vibrant and dynamic place to live, work and play. How better to contribute to that continued success than through a unique and rewarding career with Milton Keynes Council. So if you're looking for an excellent benefits package and the chance to make a difference, make a move to Milton Keynes Council. With modern working practices where flexibility is commonplace and performance is measured on outcomes and results, alongside a generous holiday entitlement, you can experience a fulfilling job and great work-life balance.
Please note that this role is only open to applicants who have the right to work in the UK
Milton Keynes is unique. At the heart of the Oxford-Cambridge Arc, and a focus for growth outside of London, our recently adopted Plan:MK with its healthy housing land supply, aims to deliver at least 26,500 new homes by 2031. The Council has also begun working on its ‘Strategy for 2050’ to grow the population to over 400,000 people and deliver associated economic growth. Proactive, ambitious and hardworking, you will work with fellow officers and stakeholders to confidently and efficiently handle planning matters, so to deliver an effective development management service for Milton Keynes Council. Reporting to the Principal Planning Officers and Team Leaders, you will work closely with others, helping to shape the Planning Services to deliver physical, social and economic growth for Milton Keynes. We’re also looking to embrace technology in order to respond to Planning for the Future. This post is advertised following a positive restructure to create new roles and new opportunities for progression within the service, and to meet the high demand and ambitions for growth with the Borough. The post is also a fantastic opportunity to join a busy dynamic team and take the first steps in your planning career.
- Ensuring that all planning applications are efficiently and professionally determined whilst delivering an excellent customer service experience. Utilising creative problem-solving skills when required.
- Supporting the work of the Development Management Team to individually and collectively deliver effective Development Management and continuous improvement to the service.
- Building and maintaining positive and effective working relationships with a variety of stakeholders providing a professional approach, focused on achieving results.
- Keep up to date with changing technical, legislative and organisational requirements by undertaking appropriate development and training.
- Regularly carry out site inspections and attend site meetings held away from the normal place of work.
- Attend and present cases at the Development Control Panel when required.
- Shadow and support senior officers on major applications and larger cases in order to support the team and expand your knowledge and experience of larger development.
- Champion equality and diversity across the Council and the wider Borough.
Experience, Qualifications and any Mandatory Requirements
- Knowledge and experience of Development Management and town planning, ideally including a degree level qualification in Town and Country Planning (or similar).
- Outstanding customer service skills – for customers and colleagues.
- Experience working in, and encouraging, a culture of continuous improvement - driving and supporting change.
- An ability to plan, manage and organise your own work and work to deadlines.
- Excellent written and confident verbal communication skills, including the handling emotive situations.
- Strong IT skills and experience of case management databases and DPA/GDPR compliance.
- Natural ability to maintain and build effective working relationships with a variety of stakeholders.
- A proactive nature and ability to work using own initiative – making constructive contributions.
Departmental Benefits of this role
- Flexible working options, including ‘Smarter Working’ to work remotely for most of the time.
- Issued with mobile phone, ipad and other IT equipment to work effectively.