Estates & Planning Manager
Salary: Competitive salary, negotiable depending on experience + Bonus + 25 days holiday + BH
Location: Livingstone House, Leeds with home working currently due to Covid 19
Purpose of the role
Yorkshire Water are currently recruiting an Estates & Planning Manager to lead a multiple disciplinary team driving sustainable land management, resilience to climate change and value across the Yorkshire Water estate and capital investment programme. You will ensure the implementation of land strategy initiatives integrating them with management of the company’s day to day compliance with relevant legislation and regulatory requirements. Working with the operational business to drive forward performance and efficiency and minimise risk through effective land management practices. Represent YW, as a sustainable business leader, at national and local level to influence relevant policy and guidance.
Some of the key responsibilities you will have will include but are not limited to:
- To develop a programme of land use planning activity to support the delivery of the land strategy initiatives; assessing opportunity for natural capital optimisation across the YW estate including the YW investment programme in new infrastructure
- Working with the Strategic & Commercial Manager, the Estate Delivery Manager and the Partnership Manager to harness existing and future opportunities to partner and extract broadest “six capitals” value from the estate
- Represent the company at local, regional and national level to provide effective stakeholder engagement and as an advocate for YW as a sustainable business leader; representing where required Yorkshire Water within the Yorkshire Land Network
- Maintain knowledge of current and emerging relevant legislation/good practice and that consequential risks and opportunities are effectively communicated to the business.
- Working closely with Local Planning Authorities and developers to maximise Biodiversity Net Gain and wider Environmental Net Gain opportunities on the YW estate
- Responsibility for managing the “Land Acquisition & Planning Advisory” team, working to support the capital programme and future investment plans
- Forging strong relationships with other YW teams, to minimise operational risk to the business; promote joint working initiatives to support delivery of the land strategy, performance commitments and future price review processes
- Lead the business development for land use planning, whilst leading others to adapt to change and challenge constructively, and supporting the wider estates team in its delivery, aligning with the commercial strategy for the business
- Working closely with technical leads and Keyland (Kelda Groups development arm) to maximise opportunity across the estate and beyond
- Working closely with the operational business to influence low carbon, environmentallybeneficial proposals for nature-based solutions within YW’s investment programme and estate
- Setting exemplar performance measures with clear expectations linked to business targets, having meaningful performance discussions that recognise and reward the right performance and behaviours and challenges where individual performance and behaviours do not meet expectations
- Demonstrating role model behaviour to align teams to the Company “Big Ambition” & Land Strategy.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Membership of (or eligible for) RTPI or RICS
- Experience of environmental/infrastructure planning including its role in ensuring sustainable estate management; ability to understand and contribute to e.g. flood risk assessments, biodiversity net gain implementation
- A track record of delivering results within challenging environmental and regulatory environments
- Excellent influencing, negotiation and communication (written and verbal) skills and ability to provide appropriate communication at all levels of stakeholder engagement
- A proven ability to lead and manage multiple workstreams (including input from consultants), agile working environments and high-profile projects (ideally including those within the construction sector)
- A proven ability to align day to day delivery tasks to long term strategy
- Exemplar reporting skills
- An extensive knowledge of the regional markets specific to area of expertise
- An extensive knowledge and experience of the legal and regulatory requirements relating to the ownership, management and sale of land and property
- Extensive working knowledge of Health and Safety and mitigation measures in relation to land and property
- Performance Management experience
- Knowledge/experience of environmental management that go beyond the confines of “normal” RTPI/RICS activities
- Experience in strategic business planning and analytics.
- Contract & Commercial Management
- Experience of mentoring/developing colleagues
- Previous experience in a commercially orientated environment.
If you feel this opportunity is suitable and you match the skills required, then please apply online and complete the application process. If you could also, please upload an up to date copy of your CV and cover letter outlining your relevant experience for the role.
Closing date: Sunday 19th September.
What's in it for you?
We are committed to attracting and developing the best people across our business. Our success relies on our ability to provide a supportive, inclusive and motivating environment where everyone has a role to play in supporting the delivery of outstanding service to our customers.
We offer excellent career opportunities to our colleagues, in an environment that is challenging and rewarding.
We are looking for highly talented people who can demonstrate an affinity with our values to help us achieve our vision of 'taking responsibility for the water environment for good'. In return, we offer a lively and diverse environment in which people can build a long and varied career, rewarded with an excellent salary and benefits package.
Everyone has an idea of what a water company does. Here in Yorkshire, we make sure that all 5.2 million people living in the region have clean safe drinking water on tap and their waste water taken away. But for us it's so much more than this.
We care passionately about the environments and communities in which we work; we always look for new innovative ways to do things that deliver great value for our business and deliver the service our customers want and expect.
Our customers are at the heart of what we do and how we do things. We work best as a company to deliver this when we work together - team work, creativity, enthusiasm and passion are inherent within our 3000 people who work 24/7 365 days a year to keep Yorkshire's water flowing.
We are a business that has its eye on the future, planning ahead to look after Yorkshire's water, today, tomorrow and always.
Yorkshire Water values equality, diversity and inclusion we celebrate and support difference and believe that everyone should be treated with respect. We welcome applications from all individuals, regardless of gender, marital status, parental status, sexual orientation, race, colour, ethnic or national origin, disability, age, religion or belief and trade union membership.
Yorkshire Water reserve the right to close this position before the published closing date, should the need occur. We therefore advise that you complete and submit your application as soon as possible.
To apply please click on the 'Apply Button'