Changing the way people think about waste
At Biffa, we love working with waste. Whether we’re turning it into sustainable power, finding new ways to recycle it or simply keeping it off the streets, we believe every day is an opportunity to improve the lives of millions. It’s a view that’s shared by our 9,500+ people around the country, who trust us to provide them with a career that’s always rewarding, often challenging, but never dull. And it’s why we’re the UK’s No. 1 choice for business waste management.
A quick look at the role
The Planning Manager ensures delivery of, and support for, key corporate and operational business development projects and strategies relating to investment, growth and planning law compliance. The scope ranges from UK wide to local, and timescales from short weeks to years. This support is essential to the commercial success, reputational standing and legal status of Biffa Plc and the role directly and indirectly impacts on that.
*** This is predominantly a home based role with travel nationally as required ***
Why it’s an opportunity not to be wasted.
- Preparation, submission and negotiation of new planning applications, planning amendments, reviews, detailed planning scheme submissions and planning compliance issues for existing and new waste management operations across the Group’s operating divisions so as to secure consents necessary to deliver relevant business and investment objectives and in order to ensure compliance with planning law.
- Maintenance and management of development project tracker and project progress to ensure achievement of targets and delivery of agree results
- Responding to relevant national and local policy and regulatory consultations, engaging with external bodies as necessary, so as to help safeguard the Group’s current and planned business activities.
- Appointment and management of external environmental consultants as necessary in order to deliver and maintain necessary consents for current and planned business activities.
- Provision of detailed specialist planning regulation advice, guidance and analysis across the business at senior management and front line staff level in relation to current operations, compliance issues, problem solving, development projects, major contract tenders, due diligence on mergers and acquisitions, departmental news bulletins, planning risk management and business planning in order to inform, influence and support the business decision- making necessary to deliver corporate and operational growth and compliance strategies fundamental to the success of the business and ensure compliance with planning law
- Ensuring maintenance of planning database in support of and to manage the Group’s activities.
- Carry out any other such reasonable job related tasks as the company may require from time to time.
- Degree in Town & Country Planning or similar qualification incorporating substantial planning law and practice component
- Minimum 10 years hands-on experience of working in planning and development role, preferably in a waste management context or other directly relevant field
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of the specialities of waste planning including relevant policy and regulatory requirements
- Knowledge and understanding of current relevant environmental guidance
- Experience working in partnership with regulatory bodies
- Proficient with all Microsoft packages including Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint
- Excellent report writing, communication and presentation skills
- Ability to plan, organise and prioritise effectively
- Ability to understand and analyse problems quickly and devise solutions
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to influence and manage conflict
- Robust and resilient, able to absorb pressure and respond positively
- Willingness to adapt and develop skill-sets and knowledge as determined by post / business
- Able to travel, without restriction, and work some unsociable hours, with occasional nights away from home
And here’s why you’ll love it at Biffa.
- Competitive salary
- Performance bonus
- Company car or £4.5 car allowance
- Private health care
- Ongoing career development, training and coaching – because if you don’t grow, we don’t grow
- Generous pension scheme
- Retail and leisure discounts
- Holiday and travel discounts
- Cycle to work scheme
Dedicated to diversity
At Biffa we believe different ideas, perspective and backgrounds are key to developing a creative working environment that delivers real results. It’s why you’ll find us championing diversity and equality at every turn.