Team Leaders - Development Management
Salary £47,845 - £51,002
Job Type - Permanent - Full time
Your new organisation
BCP Council have strong ambitions to grow. Born out of Local Government Reorganisation in 2019, Bournemouth Christchurch and Poole have come together to form the 10th largest urban local authority in England. It is a place where culture and heritage meet innovation and modernity, village meets town, country meets coast, creativity meets digital, businesses flourish and people thrive. The potential for investment and economic growth is huge. With over 15 miles of beautiful, world renowned coastline, the area has excellent transport links, with rail and road connections nationally and to London as well as international flights from Bournemouth Airport. Its communities are vibrant and diverse, with an outstanding quality of life, where everyone plays an active role. They are a globally recognised coastline of opportunity, where people love to live, learn, work, explore, invent and relax. BCP has a culture of openness to ideas and experimentation in how they do things, and welcome imaginative, creative and ambitious thinking. BCP know that they’re not the highest performing service at present, but are improving fast and want people to join them on their journey and be a part of their exciting new future.
Your new role
BCP is seeking curious, creative and ambitious individuals to be a part of their journey, in planning for the future growth and prosperity of the region. They are looking to welcome candidates with the desire to make an impact and feel confident sharing their ideas. Their team ethos is one which encourages collaboration and thoughtful contribution towards how the Council delivers their planning service, to best serve the interests of the community and region. Within your role as Development Management Team Leader, your accountabilities will include:
- Lead the development management team, acting as senior professional advisor to the team on all planning matters, to deliver a professional planning service for BCP Council
- Allocate and review casework and sign off recommendations for the issuing of a planning decision, so that the business of the development management team is delivered accurately and efficiently
- Appraise and make recommendations on the most complex and controversial planning applications and cases against the Local Plan(s), regulations, and legislative frameworks, to ensure that applications are compliant with requirements and BCP Council’s needs and reach a satisfactory decision
- Provide authoritative planning advice and guidance to colleagues, members of the public, Councillors, prospective developers and all other customers so that the planning process is understood and to enable the submission of applications that will be aligned to the Local Plan(s)
- Where required act as the senior expert witness, representing the Council in planning appeals and inquiries to defend decisions regarding application approvals or denials against the planning policies
- Present applications to the Planning Committee to enable effective decision-making by the Committee
- Negotiate with external agencies and developers to ensure that defined infrastructure and specified conditions for development are delivered in planning applications
- Contribute to the preparation of the Development Plan and supplementary documents, feeding back on what works and what doesn’t to ensure that planning policies can be applied successfully and improved.
Dimensions of the role:
- This role leads a team planning staff
- Ensure the development management team is outcome and solution focused to deliver planning decisions within statutory timeframes
- This role will need to manage a varied caseload of planning and related applications, as well as responding to service requests in a timely and professional way. This work shall be carried out in accordance with agreed performance and timescale targets.
What you'll need to succeed
- Degree in Town Planning or related degree
- Member or eligibility to be a member of the Royal Town Planning Institute
- Extensive experience of leading and motivating a team of planning professionals
- Extensive experience of managing complex and controversial cases in planning and development management
- Substantial experience in acting as an expert witness and senior planning expert in controversial cases
- Comprehensive knowledge of planning policy activity and enforcement policies and processes
- Comprehensive Knowledge of planning legislation such as Town and Country Planning Act, and governmental planning framework
- Ability to motivate a team
- Ability to provide authoritative professional advice and guidance
What you'll get in return
- Flexible, tailored and accommodating hybrid working arrangements to suit a wide variety of applicants
- Access to newly modern, newly refurbished office hub location (expected completion in Spring 2022)
- Excellent pension scheme
- Relocation packages available up to £8,000
- Cycle to work scheme
- Family support services
- Wellbeing, Employee support and Counselling services
- Supportive and collaborative working environment in which to develop your career.
To apply click on the 'Appy Button'