Bristol Airport has achieved great success and is currently the 8th largest airport in the UK; we have invested heavily in our infrastructure over the last 10 years and in 2019 we served over 9m passengers traveling to over 120 destinations. Our vision is “To be everyone’s favourite airport, delivering a future we can all be proud of” and our values reflect that. Our ambition remains strong, despite the additional challenges introduced by COVID-19, we are committed to providing passengers with safe and amazing travel opportunities. We are extremely proud of how the Airport as a whole has responded to the challenges we face today and we need committed and innovative individuals to help us during this next phase in our evolution. So, are you ready to come on that journey with us?
About the role
Reporting to the Sustainability & Corporate Affairs Director, the Planning Manager will play a critical role in developing and delivering Bristol Airport’s planning strategy, securing necessary approvals when required, ensuring compliance with existing planning conditions and planning legislation. We are currently in the closing stages of a major planning application to increase the Airport’s capacity from 10 million to 12 million passengers per annum, and the successful candidate will play a key role in managing the outputs of that, whatever the decision. Either way, there will be plenty to keep you busy and challenged.
You will work with stakeholders across the business, delivering a varied programme of work covering strategy, policy and development to meet operational requirements and will be a key member of the Sustainability & Corporate Affairs Team, supporting the delivery of our sustainability plans and improving transport access to the Airport.
We are looking for a qualified and experienced Planning Manager with substantial experience of leading and delivering planning applications for major infrastructure projects, and the ability to build and maintain strong working relationships with local authority planning teams and other key stakeholders.
- Developing and delivering the Airport’s planning strategy in collaboration with colleagues across the business, to meet business objectives in line with the Bristol Airport master plan.
- Overseeing the development, consultation and publication of the Bristol Airport master plan, leading on process integrity and ensuring a sound strategic platform to support the planning strategy.
- Leading on the implementation of the planning strategy for Bristol Airport, ensuring planning consents and permitted development consultations are achieved.
- Overseeing the development and delivery of the Airport Surface Access Strategy (ASAS), working with colleagues to ensure Bristol Airport meets targets set and commitments made and that the Airport Transport Forum is a constructive stakeholder forum to support the ASAS.
- Ensuring compliance with existing planning conditions and Section 106 obligations, monitoring progress and reporting to North Somerset Council and other stakeholders.
- Leading Bristol Airport’s engagement on regional and local strategic planning relating to land use and transport planning, to ensure planning policies are consistent with our future development plans.
- Developing and fostering positive, constructive relationships with various planning stakeholders including North Somerset Council, West of England Combined Authority (WECA) and other local planning authorities.
- Providing in-house planning expertise for long term master planning, infrastructure projects and strategic business planning.
- Working with the Community Relations Team to ensure open and honest dialogue with local stakeholders and the community.
- Proactively monitoring emerging Government planning-related policy, guidance and statements, and reviewing, commenting and disseminating as necessary.
- Proactively monitoring, reviewing and commenting upon external planning applications, enforcement actions and appeals that may affect Bristol Airport, working closely with the Aerodrome Safeguarding team.
- Providing support to the Sustainability & Corporate Affairs Director as required.
We're looking for the following:
- Educated to degree level in Town and Country Planning or closely relevant discipline, ideally with Chartered membership of the Royal Town and Country Planning Institute.
- High levels of technical expertise in strategic planning, policy development and/or major projects.
- Proven ability to deliver planning permissions in major infrastructure projects.
- Experience of working in the Airport sector on related projects is desirable, but not essential.
- Able to build effective working relationships with both internal and external stakeholders, particularly local authority planning departments.
- Highly customer-focused and able to communicate effectively and professionally at all levels, both verbally and in writing.
- Strong planning and organisational skills with the ability to prioritise workload and adhere to strict deadlines, along with close attention to details.
- Highly self-motivated with a flexible, can do attitude
- Strong willingness to learn and actively explores new ways of working and deliver continuous improvement, adapting easily to challenge and change.
- Fully engaged with the Bristol Airport brand and strategic vision.
Why work for us?
Our vision is to be everyone’s favourite airport, delivering a future we can all be proud of. We are a modern airport, defined by great people who are skilled, passionate and confident, and who are dedicated to providing great service with a relaxed and friendly style. This blend of talents, focus and passion makes us extraordinary. A pulse survey carried out in March 2021 highlighted than over 90% of colleagues are satisfied with the way in which Bristol Airport has responded to the COVID pandemic and business impact, and the ways in which they have been kept informed.
We are committed to building a team of people with varied backgrounds and experiences as we recognise that this will only benefit us as an employer, the more inclusive we are the better our work will be. We are committed to equal opportunities, and we are always very keen to receive applications from members of under-represented or minority groups. We want to ensure that everyone has a fair opportunity to join our team so, if you require any reasonable adjustments to our recruitment and interview process, please contact us to discuss. We operate a flexible working policy which truly is what is says on the tin - we are always happy to discuss a flexible working patterns to suit your needs, so if you need to talk to us about your own flexible working requirements for this role please let us know. You can reach us at [email protected].
At Bristol Airport, we’re committed to providing our employees with a broad range of rewards and benefits:
- 25 days annual leave (increasing to 29 days with service)
- Pension with generous employer contribution
- Group Life Assurance (6 x salary)
- Private Medical Insurance with BUPA
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Performance Related Bonus scheme
- Free on-site gym
- Airport discounts and savings
To read more about our benefits please click here https://www.bristolairport.co.uk/about-us/careers/our-benefits, or If you’d like to find out more about what our recruitment process involves, please visit https://www.bristolairport.co.uk/about-us/careers/our-recruitment-process
Please note, Bristol Airport reserves the right to bring forward the closing date of any of its job vacancies if we receive a suitable number of quality applications from which to make a shortlist. Therefore, we recommend that you apply as soon as possible rather than wait until the published closing date.