Specialist (Level 1) Development Management (Town Planning Officer)
Permanent - Full time
Grade of Post: G Salary £29,268 - £33,770
Vacancy Number MDC001681
Offering flexible new ways of agile working with the Council Offices based at Princes Road, Maldon available as required.
Hours: Up to 37 hours per week (opportunity for job share / part-time hours)
- Flexible working options available
- 25 days annual leave (plus Bank Holidays)
- Free on-site parking
- Payment of one annual professional fee such as RTPI (if applicable)
- Automatic enrolment in the generous Local Government Pension Scheme
- Access to our 24/7 Employee Assistance Programme and Mental Health First Aiders
- Free flu vaccination each year
- New car salary sacrifice scheme
- Discounted local leisure center membership
- Access to a range of work/life balance policies.
- Health and wellbeing activities throughout the year
Would you relish the opportunity to work in 'The Times' best countryside location and still be within easy reach of London? The historic and scenic district of Maldon, which includes internationally recognised nature reserves, historic buildings and beautiful countryside may be the location for you.
The District has recently experienced unparalleled growth and considering the changing planning landscape and the on-going LDP review, this is expected to continue over the coming years. Maldon District Council is offering an excellent opportunity for an ambitious individual that wishes to develop and progress their career in Development Management to join their dynamic team.
You should have a sound and thorough knowledge of Town Planning legislation with extensive practical experience of all aspects of the planning and development process, particularly with regards to planning applications, appeals and planning enforcement.
This is a great opportunity to continue your professional development and work towards a MSc in Town Planning (or other related area), which Maldon District Council will support you in through day release, regular case conferences and possible assistance with course fees.
About this role
- As one of our experienced Specialists at Maldon District Council, you will take responsibility for your assigned caseload, prepare reports and make recommendations on planning applications and on other planning related matters.
- You will prepare appeal statements for decision/clearance with the Senior Specialist Coordinator or Lead Specialist for Development Management.
- You will act as a point of contact between Council Members and the service in relation to Development Management issues and respond to service-related requests, complaints and FOI requests.
- You will provide support to other officers within planning and other internal teams and guide applicants through the planning process, including the delivery of robust, timely and comprehensive pre-application advice.
- Able to communicate clearly and articulately with the spoken word
- Able to give both informal and formal presentations and confident in communicating with a wide range of people at all levels
- Able to construct concise, articulate reports presenting arguments clearly and persuasively
- Able to prioritise and effectively manage your workload
- Apply a methodical and thorough approach to routine tasks and when dealing with detailed work
- Able to use initiative within own role as appropriate
- Able to meet short deadlines whilst retaining quality through effective time management and reviewing progress
- Commitment to the provision of a high-quality service to customers
We are looking for people who:
- Hold a relevant qualification in Town Planning or are working towards this.
- Have a minimum of 2 years’ experience working within Planning or Development Management.
- A current member of the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI), preferred
- Self-motivated and can work under pressure with minimal supervision.
- Have a positive, solution-finding approach to work whilst achieving targets and meeting deadlines.
- Can demonstrate being a team player, appreciate the corporate objectives of the organisation and have with a clear commitment to delivering a customer focused service.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft applications and have experience using local authority software packages (ideally Uniform and Civica).
- Contribute to the provision and maintenance of an effective and efficient Development Management service for the District as a whole, maintaining up to date practices in Development Management, drawing on and applying new legislation, case law and codes of practice as appropriate to the tasks and requirements of the area.
- Able to attend the office for team meetings, training and development and committee meetings as required.
- Has access to a vehicle and can complete site visits across the district.
- For an informal discussion about this position
For more information or an informal chat, please contact Hannah Wheatley: 01621 732646 or Alex Taylor: 01621 732836, or download the job description.
Closing date: 31st January 2022.