Senior Development Management Planner (Major Applications) | Permanent
Full and part time candidates considered
£32,910 - £36,922 + £3,000 per annum market supplement + £3,000 golden hello
Hays are delighted to be working in partnership with Chichester District Council on the recruitment of five permanent and fixed term planning vacancies across Development Management and Planning Policy.
It’s an exciting time to join Chichester District Council’s planning department, with a diverse range of projects and key miles stones throughout 2022.
The council prides itself on offering a friendly and supportive working environment, with excellent training and fantastic opportunities for growth and development. They are offering an attractive remuneration and benefits package including a golden hello, market supplement and relocation support.
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To deal effectively and efficiently with a caseload of significant and complex planning applications, associated pre-application enquiries and appeals, demonstrating a high regard for performance while securing high quality design. To be part of a team providing an efficient and helpful service to all customers in all aspects of planning and to provide support and mentoring to other members of the team.
- On receipt of applications for pre-application advice, planning permission, listed building consent, advertisement consent and other applications to determine and initiate internal and external consultation processes
- To inspect application sites and prepare a report which assesses the merits of the proposal
- To provide advice to applicants, developers and agents on development proposals.
- To negotiate improvements to development proposals to achieve the Council’s objectives
- To be responsible for formulating recommendations on the various categories of application for consideration by the Development Manager or Planning Committee. Where appropriate, such recommendations to include reference to conditions and Planning Obligations and any other appropriate courses of action
- To attend meetings of the Planning Committee or other internal and external partners (when required) to present/support recommendations and to answer Members’ questions on applications
- To prepare the Council’s response to appeals being determined by the written representation procedure
- In the case of appeals being determined by Hearing or Local Inquiry to prepare statements or proofs of evidence and to appear as the Council’s expert witness
- To assist, liaise and where so applicable instruct and manage other witnesses for the councils case and to support to appointed legal representative in all aspects of the case
- Associated Development Management Activities
- To deal with discharge of condition applications and to assist in the discharge of relevant planning obligations through s106
- To review and agree correspondence and enquiry responses from junior colleagues, as required
- To provide the Council’s Planning Surgery meeting service to applicants/agents, as required
- To assist the Enforcement team with their investigations and any subsequent action.
- To assist the Planning Policy team with formulating the Local Plan policies and other policy documents
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Essential Planning Knowledge and Technical Skills
- Experience of dealing with a caseload of significant and complex pre-application enquiries, planning applications, including major applications and appeals as appropriate.
- Knowledge of the general legislative background to planning and detailed knowledge and understanding of planning legislation and case law in the UK. An understanding of general planning policy and the ability to interpret policy documents.
- Ability to negotiate improvements to development proposals to achieve the Council’s objectives - including all types of applications and pre-application enquiries and S106 legal agreements
- Ability to write letters and reports in a clear and concise manner
- Experience of analysing information and identifying key issues and deciding which actions should be followed.
- Experience of presenting information and opinions – planning committee, meetings with agents/applicants, appeals, Members questions
- Ability to secure high quality design
- Sound interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience of providing customer care at a high level, ability to deal with people of all ages and abilities in a professional and discreet manner
- Competent keyboard skills and familiarity with use of computer applications - experience of using Microsoft Office packages, planning databases and GIS mapping
- A valid UK driving licence and daily access to a car for business purposes
- A level of numeracy sufficient to analyse basic data and draw conclusions from statistics, including identifying key points from developer viability appraisals and provide appropriate assessment.
- First Degree in Planning (or Degree in related subject and MA or post graduate Diploma in Planning)
- Full Membership of Royal Town Planning Institute or working towards full Membership
Remuneration (pro rata for part time applicants)
Salary: £32,910 to £36,922
Market supplement: £3,000 per annum
Recruitment payment: For external candidates with 5 or more years proven experience at professional officer level only, the post is also subject to a one-off Recruitment Payment of £3,000, 50% will be paid after the successful completion of your probation period, the remaining 50% will then be paid 6 months from the date of your completed Probation.
Essential user car allowance: Annual payment of £1,239
Relocation Allowance: Considered for candidates wishing to relocate to the area
Presently the council operate remote working, once restrictions are lifted, they will be operating a hybrid arrangement with two – three days per week to be office based. This may be negotiable on an individual basis.
The Council are ready to interview suitable candidates as they receive their CVs, so if you like to learn more don’t delay in making contact. Call Daniel Baker on 07545 546 986 for more information or apply via this advert.