Principal Planning Officer
Salary: - £38,553- £42,614
Location: - Palatine Hall, Lancaster
Lancaster City Council is looking for experienced planners who are seeking a new challenge. Help us deliver the next stage of our innovative vision for the district and implement our adopted Local Plan by joining our Development Management Team.
The Lancaster District is:
- An ambitious district, reflected in the Council’s exciting development programme which includes delivering the next Eden Project in Morecambe and a new Garden Village settlement at South Lancaster.
- A collaborative district, with officers who are empowered to work with partners on unique projects such as the Health Innovation Campus, which aims to develop sustainable solutions for the important health and care challenges that we face as a society.
- A diverse district, including the internationally protected Morecambe Bay; the City of Lancaster, which is one of the premier heritage destinations within the England’s Heritage Cities Consortium; 2 Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and a vibrant arts and cultural community.
- A responsible district, which recognises how it can lead by example and influence others to address the local challenges that global climate change brings.
- An accessible district, with the breathtaking scenery of the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales only 30 minutes away, and which is served by London and Scotland-bound West Coast Mainline rail services. Three junctions of the M6 lie within the district, providing an immediate gateway to the rest of the country.
For candidates who have appropriate Development Management experience, are good communicators and possess an excellent working knowledge of relevant planning legislation, we can offer a wide variety of experience in terms of application types, training support and opportunities for hybrid working, including some homeworking and use of the City Council’s offices in both Lancaster and Morecambe.
A full current UK driving licence is essential, as the post holder will occasionally be required to undertake site visits. The hours of work for this position are 37 hours per week, working Monday to Friday. The Council currently operates a Flexible Working Hours Scheme which applies to this post.
Excellent benefits include: A Local Government Pension Scheme (the Council makes a 15.5% contribution). Discounted gym membership and discount on days out, activities and retail.
Earlier this year Lancaster City Council unanimously declared a climate emergency and will therefore work towards reducing carbon emissions to net-zero by 2030. As part of this role, you will be expected to participate and work towards reducing carbon emissions.
For further details of each new role, please click on the 'Apply Button', or for an informal conversation regarding these opportunities contact the Head of Planning and Place, Mark Cassidy, on 01524 582390.
Closing Date: Monday 6th June at 9am.
Further information on this vacancy