The City of Fredericton is the capital city of the Atlantic Canadian province of New Brunswick. The City is nestled in a beautiful valley on the banks of the St. John River surrounded by forests and agricultural land and located one hour from the Bay of Fundy, a diverse marine environment with some of the highest tides in the world. Fredericton is one of Atlantic Canada’s fastest growing cities. The presence of two universities, thriving information technology industries, one of Canada’s most diverse economies and an international airport give Fredericton many of the advantages of big city living in a compact, friendly and affordable small town package. The City places strong focus on planned urban infill and strategic suburban development and has a rich history of innovative land use planning.
The City is accepting applications for as many as four Planners in the Planning and Development Department. We are looking for planning professionals with a passion for their work that thrive in a fast-paced, fun, and very busy environment. You need to enjoy working with the development community and citizens to build a great city. To be successful in one of these positions, you need great inter-personal skills, you need to be comfortable leading public engagement exercises, speaking and presenting in public and have a gift for the written word. These positions require an individual who takes initiative, exercises tact, discretion, and has sound judgment.
The skills detailed above are essential for one of these positions. We will give special consideration to planners with expertise and interest in one or more of the following sub-disciplines:
- Neighbourhood policy planning;
- Parks and open space planning; and
- Affordable housing.
- Leads policy planning projects such as secondary municipal plans on behalf of the Department.
- Participates in review/updates to policy documents such as the Zoning By-law, Secondary Municipal Plans, Heritage Conservation Plans, park plans, and other policy matters.
- Prepares and presents Planning Reports for the Planning Advisory Committee and the Preservation Review Board.
- Works with developers to facilitate development proposals.
- Gathers and analyzes economic and statistical data.
- Advises the public on zoning matters and other development control/enforcement issues.
- Attends regular community and planning advisory committee meetings; prepares reports, memos, and zoning letters.
- Other duties as required
Education and Experience:
- Graduate degree in planning from a recognized professional planning school and a minimum of four years of relevant experience.
Knowledge and Desired Skills:
- Sound knowledge of planning theory, public engagement techniques and policy creation;
- Knowledge and experience working in development control;
- Excellent oral communication, presentation and writing skills;
- Preference will be given to full members of the Canadian Institute of Planners (CIP) and those eligible to practice as a Registered Professional Planner (RPP) in New Brunswick;
- Members of the Royal Town Planning Institute are encouraged to apply. You should familiarize yourself with the process of having your credentials recognized by CIP.
- The ability to communicate in both English and French will be considered an asset.
Recruitment for these positions is taking place in Canada and the United Kingdom. Interviews may be held In the UK if there is sufficient interest or may take place virtually via Microsoft Teams.
Interested individuals may apply in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only those candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.