Planning officer – Development control
Salary: £36,371 - £37,598
We are seeking an enthusiastic and adaptable minerals and waste planning officer to join the development control team to work on a range of minerals and waste applications and to deal with planning applications submitted by the County Council.
This is an exciting post for an experienced Minerals and Waste planner. You will be responsible for the processing and assessment of all types of minerals, waste and County Council planning applications, including applications that require an Environmental Statement and minerals review schemes. You will need to ensure that cases are presented in a timely manner to committee and this will involve attendance at committee meetings and committee site visits. You will be expected to deal with complex and/or contentious planning matters, therefore being able to make difficult decisions and negotiate on high value/high profile public and private sector projects, together with negotiations on section 106 agreements, is essential.
The main working responsibilities and duties of the role are as follows;
- Processing and assessing a range of planning applications for minerals and waste development and applications submitted for the County Councils own development proposals
- Making recommendations on these applications and preparation of reports for consideration by the lead officer and manager together with presenting planning applications to the Development Control and Regulation committee as required
- To provide both informal verbal pre-application advice to applicants and more formal pre-application advice through the Councils paid for service.
- To liaise with a variety of internal council departments on the County council’s own development schemes and also with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders on all planning applications.
- To defend the Council’s decision on appeal if necessary
- To be responsible for the monitoring of minerals and waste sites and County Council developments to ensure compliance with planning permissions and relevant conditions
- To assist in the assessment and review of planning policies of the local plan
Who we are looking for:
To be successful in this role, you will need to demonstrate the following
- Degree level or equivalent in Environmental Planning
- Experience in development control and regulation and/or minerals and waste planning policy.
- Proven experience and competence to manage complex/contentious planning matters
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to a variety of different audiences. Ability to plan and prioritise workloads.
- Ability to carry out site visits and to travel throughout Cumbria
- Ability to negotiate and on occasions to deal with difficult situations
For an informal discussion about this exciting role, please contact Richard Cryer (Lead Officer, Development Control) on 07827 843131 or email email@example.com.
Closing date: 12/06/2022
Interview date: 22/06/2022 (provisional)