Principal Planning Officer
Grade 9 - 10, £38,205 - to £47,299 (inclusive of local weighting) depending on experience, plus a one-off £5,000 welcome payment*.
Full time (part-time working and job share considered).
Permanent. Based in Hertford
East Herts Council is looking for a Principal Planning Officer to come and join our welcoming and progressive Development Management team. This role provides an opportunity to work on some exciting large scale projects as well as gain some supervisory experience, and is ideal for someone looking to progress their career in planning.
East Herts is a District rich and diverse in character with attractive market towns and villages and special landscape, natural and built heritage features, including 42 Conservation Areas and over 3000 listed buildings. It is also experiencing significant growth and we have a number of strategic sites coming forward for development including a new settlement of 10,000 homes within the emerging ‘Harlow and Gilston Garden Town.’
Our ambitious planning policies aim to maximise affordable housing delivery, secure sustainable, environmentally progressive development and deliver the highest quality built environment, whilst respecting, celebrating and protecting the District’s distinct rural character and unique heritage.
We are looking for enthusiastic, hard-working individuals who are keen to learn and share our aims and ambitions. Good customer skills, being able to communicate effectively (written and verbal) and efficient time management are essential skills for this role.
In return we offer the opportunity to work on varied and interesting portfolio of work, working as part of fast paced, friendly and experienced team that will support you to develop your skills and progress your career.
* repayable if you left the council within 18 months of receiving the payment
East Herts also offers a great working environment, flexible/home working options and many benefits.
- Responsible for a case load of major/complex planning and other related applications.
- Provision of pre-application advice.
- Supervising and mentoring more junior staff.
- Delegated authority to assist the sign off of minor applications.
- Ensuring that development of the highest quality is secured meeting policy and corporate objectives.
The ideal candidate will have
- A degree in town and country planning, geography or an environmental related subject.
- Demonstrable previous experience of working as part of a Development Management service managing a mixed and varied case load of planning applications including major applications.
- Good communication skills with the ability to deliver planning information in a positive and proactive way to a varied audience.
- The ability to assimilate, understand and articulate planning issues rapidly.
- Excellent time management and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent written skills.
- A valid, full driving licence.
How to apply
For an informal discussion regarding the role, please contact Karen Page - Service Manager on 07761510832.
To apply for this role please click on the 'Apply Button'
Closing date: 10 June 2022 at 5pm.
If you do not hear from us within 2 weeks of the closing date please assume that your application has not been successful.
If your application has been successful, the recruiting manager will contact you to invite you to an interview. We hope you enjoy the process and look forward to making contact with you very soon.
EHC is an equal opportunity employer committed to embracing a diverse and inclusive work environment. We aim to attract and retain the best people regardless of their gender, marital/parental status, ethnic origin, nationality, religious belief age, background, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity