Rushmoor Borough Council is situated in north-east Hampshire, at the heart of the beautiful and prosperous Blackwater Valley sub-region.
Specifically covering the towns of Farnborough (World famous as the birthplace of British aviation and the biennial Farnborough International Airshow), and Aldershot (the “home of the British Army”). This area boasts great local sporting facilities and recreational spaces, plus the UK’s only dedicated business airport.
The Borough has excellent transport communications; it is close to the M3 motorway and is only 30 minutes from London by train. This makes it an attractive location for some notable international businesses including BAE Systems, TAG Aviation, Fluor, BMW and Gulfstream.
This is an exciting chance to work as a Principal Policy Officer within a highly performing team which already has large regeneration schemes in both Aldershot and Farnborough that are a key priority for the Council.
This permanent position is to assist the Borough Council in carrying out its statutory function as a Local Planning Authority, supporting the management of the planning service in such a way as to provide a quality customer focused planning service that contributes towards delivering the corporate Plan.
The main responsibilities for this key position will also be:
- To ensure the efficient, effective and timely preparation and review of local and strategic planning policy documents including the council’s statutory Local Plan, and other related statutory documents.
- To lead on the preparation, management and maintenance of local plan evidence studies including the procurement of expert advice where appropriate.
- To play a key role in engaging other planning officers, officers of other departments of the authority, Rushmoor Members, external organisations, local businesses and the public in the Rushmoor Local Plan and the authority’s plans for growth and regeneration
- Carry out all relevant consultation and engagement on planning matters with internal and external stakeholders, including elected members, consultees, representatives of other local authorities and the borough’s communities.
- To consider, report on and, when required, represent the council’s interests in planning policy matters at national and local level and in particular liaise with adjoining authorities in relation to the duty to co-operate and comment on other local authority consultations.
- To attend meetings arranged for local planning authorities to discuss issues relevant to the Rushmoor Plan, cross-boundary issues and other relevant planning policy issues
- Prepare and present reports and other relevant information to elected members and senior management in accordance with the council’s constitution, including at, Cabinet, Council, and Member Working Groups.
- Produce written statements and give evidence, on behalf of the council, at planning appeals/examinations (including hearings and public inquiries) in relation to planning policy matters.
- To manage public consultation on statutory and non-statutory documents produced by the Policy and Conservation officers, ensuring that all legislative requirements are met.
- To provide professional advice and appropriate engagement with the local community and other stakeholders, including colleagues and elected members, council officers, developers and their agents.
- Ensure the regular review of methods of operation and processes to ensure they are fit for purpose and cost effective.
- Provide support to the Corporate Planning Manager in performing the functions of the planning service and deputise as required at strategic planning meetings, developer forums, member briefings and other relevant meetings.
- Responsible for the day to day management of officers within the Planning Team including conducting annual appraisals and one to ones, dealing with performance, recruitment and mentoring in order to maximise the effective and efficient working of the service
You will also be expected to:
- Actively promote and model the Council’s desired behaviours
- Take reasonable care of own health and safety, and that of other persons who may be affected by acts or omissions at work
- Be alert to the safeguarding and promotion of the welfare of children and vulnerable adults
- Undertake any other duties that are commensurate with the requirements of the post, including deputising for the Corporate Planning Manager as required
You will have a passion for Planning and recognise the important role it plays in ensuring Rushmoor Council’s communities benefit from growth and regeneration. You will also be able to harness good team working within the Planning team and wider Corporate Service areas and have the ability to think creatively.
This role presents a unique opportunity for a well-organised, highly motivated Principal Policy officer who is passionate about delivering high quality outcomes and projects. With a positive can do attitude, you will be able to take the initiative and be creative in problem solving.
You will also be expected to have:
- Degree or Professional Qualification in Planning or other related subject
- Full Membership of the Royal Town Planning Institute or fully eligible.
- Good interpersonal skills with good written and oral communication and presentation skills
- Well-developed organisational and project management skills including time management and ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to establish, develop and maintain positive working relationships with other Council departments, partner organisations and individuals
- Able to work well within a team and with corporate partners
- Ability to supervise and manage staff
Salary and benefits
Salary range: G6: £41,591 - £48,670 + market supplement of £2400 PA.
Opportunity for flexible working combining office attendance and home working (beyond pandemic)
Location: Council Offices and other locations from time to time.
- The Council offices are located close to Farnborough Town Centre, and within walking distance of Farnborough Main railway station.
Employment with Rushmoor Council offers you some valuable benefits, including flexible working and free car parking. Further details are available at: http://www.rushmoor.gov.uk/article/3606/Benefits-for-our-staff
Closing Date: TBD
Interviews: Ideally will take place in person but may from time to time be required to take place online in first instance.
*Rushmoor Council reserves the right to stop the search once the successful candidate has been sourced.
Want to hear more?
Please note CVs will be considered as part of your application for this position.
Apply for the role by submitting your CV below or for an informal and confidential discussion, or please call Rob now on 07855 276123 for more information.
You can apply sending your CV with a covering letter or for email enquiries can be sent to rob@LDHrecruitment.com
You can also find out more here at www.rushmoor.gov.uk.