SERVICE MANAGER – DEVELOPMENT MANAGEMENT
37 hours per week, permanent contract
Salary: £39,571 - £46,662 per annum
+ welcome payment of 10% in first year
+ up to £8,000 relocation allowance*
This is an exciting time for North Devon as we invest in regeneration schemes in Barnstaple town centre, Ilfracombe Water Sports Centre and see significant interest in housing demand and economic growth in North Devon. We have ambitious plans for well-planned growth to improve the quality of life and opportunities for residents, businesses and visitors whilst respecting, celebrating and protecting our rural character and unique heritage. An example of this is a recent development approved with Member support for a residential development in the Coastal Village where a development brief approach was adopted to seek the best outcomes for a highly constrained development site.
As a motivated, customer focussed, experienced professional you will lead our busy development management team. You will play a vital role in shaping how we meet our growth objectives, ensuring that development is of the highest quality and is both sustainable and environmentally progressive, whilst looking after the exceptional and stunning environment of North Devon - its coastline, harbours, moors and historic urban and rural settlements centred on the UNESCO Biosphere Reserve of Braunton Burrows.
About the role - you will be involved in:
- Contributing to the growth of North Devon and the delivery of an ambitious Local Plan - People and Place
- Leading programmes which are at the heart of our corporate aspirations by putting the customer first and working collaboratively in delivering places that people want to live, work and relax. This would be achieved by promoting housing provision of all tenures, a range of employment opportunities, infrastructure provision, recreation projects and supporting the hundreds of small businesses in the area with a strong emphasis on the tourism and agricultural sector
- Dealing with major development proposals, as well as a range of application types such as large allocated sites, complex developments within our unique coastal Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty and Council led developments for town centre improvements and coastal regeneration
- Informing and guiding development from the outset as part of our pre-application service
- Actively liaising with Ward Members and Parish Councils on the delivery of development in their areas
- Taking on the true meaning of Development Management by managing the team in taking cases from a pre-application stage, through to planning compliance in partnership working with a Planning and Regulatory Control Team
About you - you will need to demonstrate that you:
- Have a degree in Town Planning (or equivalent)
- Are a corporate Member of Royal Town Planning Institute
- Have solid experience in all aspects of development management and a sound knowledge of planning legislation and Government policy, including complex and contentious planning applications
- Have experience of managing and developing staff, functions, processes and budgets
Our planning service is working hard to tackle the housing crisis in the district, with the team recently ranked second highest performing authority in the southwest in government performance tables.
North Devon provides an outstanding quality of life for its residents and a positive working environment in which you will find an ideal work life balance. The Council now offers a hybrid working model, further enabling the flexible working approach, which can be discussed informally with the contact below or at interview, where shortlisted.
For an informal conversation regarding this opportunity contact either Jenni Meakins (01271 388411) or Matt Brown ((01271 388292).
We are enthusiastic and eager to build our team and look forward to speaking to you.
Closing date for applications: 8 July 2022 (midnight)
Interview date: week commencing 18 July 2022
For an application pack, please click on the 'Apply Button'
If you have not heard by the interview date, please assume that you have been unsuccessful on this occasion.
In return, we offer a supportive environment in an organisation with flexible working hours, opportunities for hybrid working including some home working and a local government career average salary pension scheme.
* We will reclaim a proportion of the total Relocation Allowance made to you if you leave our employment within two years.
We believe in valuing diversity and are committed to equal opportunities.