Planning Consultant / Graduate Planning Consultant
We are seeking to appoint a Planning Consultant or Graduate Planning Consultant to work within our fast-paced Planning Consultancy team which has recently been shortlisted for the RTPI Small Planning Consultancy Award 2022. You will need to be able to demonstrate a keen interest in town planning, outstanding organisation, be solutions led and have excellent customer service skills.
Planning Consultant £30,000 - £34,000 + benefits, pension and 30 days annual leave entitlement.
or Graduate Planning Consultant £28,000 - £30,000 + benefits, pension and 30 days annual leave entitlement.
Be First is a pioneering urban regeneration company wholly owned by the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham (LBBD). Its mission is to accelerate growth and capitalise on the borough’s position as London’s hottest investment and development opportunity.
We are a developer and property consultancy, as well as providing planning and other statutory functions for LBBD. We also work with commercial partners who share our core values of delivering high quality development which benefits local people. The financial return that we generate is reinvested back into providing key council services and more homes for local people.
We pride ourselves on delivering a socially responsible model of urban regeneration which delivers new homes and jobs for current and future communities. As a developer in our own right, we utilise council and commercial investment resources to acquire sites, secure planning permission and build out new residential and commercial developments.
The Planning Consultancy team is actively growing. We work to secure planning permission for the Council’s portfolio of development sites, for developers and investors working in the borough, along with projects outside the borough too. We work across a wide variety of sectors, including housing, commercial, industrial, film and education.
We are looking for a Planning Consultant or Graduate Planning Consultant to support our growing Planning Consultancy team. The individual will contribute to:
- Providing planning consultancy services and planning strategy advice to public, private and third-party sector clients.
- Carrying out planning appraisals and pre-application consultations, and co-ordinating and managing the preparation of planning applications.
- Providing technical and procedural advice that problem-solves and ‘adds value’
- Inputting into public consultation strategies.
- Being a positive role model and provide mentoring where appropriate to graduate and apprentice planners.
- Liaise with the wider Be First teams, clients, the public, sub-consultants and a range of public and private bodies; and
- Assisting the team to manage financial aspects, such as invoicing and budgets.
We are looking for an individual with the following skills:
- Engaging and driven personality wanting to join a highly successful and ambitious team.
- Proven technical abilities and demonstrable knowledge and understanding of national, regional and local development issues and trends.
- Proactive in providing clear, commercial planning advice and co-ordinating planning applications.
- Diligent and accurate in research with excellent professional writing skills.
- A critical thinker with excellent verbal communication skills.
- Proactive in identifying opportunities and making new ideas work.
- Ability to weigh up all possible options or approaches to problem solving and to make considered decisions.
- Capable of individually managing smaller scale projects with senior oversight and supporting the team in submission of larger applications.
- Demonstrates accurate comprehension in new situations with a grasp of essential details.
- Persuasive - putting forward convincing arguments in an articulate and concise manner.
- A motivated, self-starter with a willingness to learn.
- A team player, who is collaborative and works effectively with others.
- Displays tact and diplomacy when managing difficult situations.
- Completed an RTPI recognised degree in planning and begun work towards
For the Graduate role at least a years experience working in planning
For the Planner role 2+ years working in planning, ideally in planning consultancy
In order to apply, please submit to email@example.com by 30th June 2022 a CV and a covering letter outlining your motivation for applying and highlighting how your skills, knowledge and experience meet the requirements of the role.
Closing date: 11th July @ noon.