Job Title: Head of Planning
Location: Greater Manchester, Local Authority
Contract: 6-months ongoing
Pay: Inside IR35 – 500-700 per day Negotiable DOE
Our client, a local authority in Greater Manchester, is seeking an experienced Head of Planning to lead the planning services. The successful candidate will play a crucial role in delivering first-class services to developers, applicants, and residents while aligning with the Council's strategic plans and supporting transformation projects. This role involves leading the Local Plan process, contributing to regional transportation plans, and championing high-quality design and sustainable development.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership and Management:
- Provide leadership and day-to-day management for professional and support teams in Planning Development Management, Planning Policy, Planning Enforcement, Building Control, and the Ecology service.
- Directly manage key roles, including Development Management Manager, Planning Policy Manager, Planning Enforcement, Technical Support and Land Charges Manager, GM Ecology Unit Manager, and Senior Building Control Officers.
- Indirectly manage secondees, project managers, officers, graduate support officers, administration staff, apprentices, and work placements within these services.
Strategic Planning and Policy:
- Lead the Local Plan process through to adoption, presenting the Council's case at Examination in Public.
- Act as the project sponsor on regeneration and development programmes.
- Support the Director of Place with MP briefings related to Planning matters.
Collaboration and Partnerships:
- Work collaboratively and in partnerships with subregional partners and neighboring local authorities.
- Lead the council's input to the Greater Manchester Transport Delivery Plan, Tameside Local Implementation Plan, and Environment Plan in coordination with the GM Combined Authority.
- Planning Degree
- Chartered Town Planner (MRTPI) or equivalent experience
- Evidence of continued professional development
- Experience in either A) leading a Local Plan process through to adoption, including presenting at Examination in Public, or B) significant experience in planning applications for major developments.
- Experience in writing and presenting complex reports and policy documents.
- Experience in managing planning teams.
- Extensive knowledge of Strategic Planning and Transport Planning issues regionally.
- In-depth understanding and up-to-date knowledge of legislation, regulations, and government policy in Planning.
- In-depth knowledge of Strategic Planning and Transport Planning issues.
- Understanding of legislation, regulations, and government policy in Planning.
If you’re interested in applying, please apply now with your CV and contact Joe O’Halloran at Spencer Clarke Group on 01772 954200.